Could my pro trumpet be holding back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Sep 8, 2011.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I have never felt that student horns were easier to play. Most are produced with cost in mind to make them more affordable for the masses. They are also built like tanks to better withstand the abuse of young students. Tanks don't make good music. Just my opinion. You know what is said of opinions.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Get rid of the mute. It introduces all types of extra variables. Learn to play without it. A lesson or two would be well worth the money, as several have indicated. If money is an issue regarding a teacher, try to find another advanced trumpet player that may be willing to give you a listen and offer some advice. Believe me, we are dime a dozen. Most of us are glad to give a little advice for free (unless we are trying to make a living on the horn). Any university with a music program would be a place to start if you don't know of anyone.

3. Invisible-Bob

Invisible-Bob New Friend

Jun 10, 2011
    I have taken a few lessons. Time is more of an obsticle than money. The other problem is that I live in an apartment, otherwise I wouldn't even bother with the mute.

4. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    l
    quit you day job -ergo more time

than buy a castle on the hill so you wont have neighbours and will be able to play w/o mute as loud as you want

some people here really think that we all live in perfect enviroment for trumpet playing. Surrounded by teachers. Having all the free time in the world, money to buy beautifull horns and pay for instructions, space to practice. No fammilies, no obligations. Nothing. Just us and trumpet. But we still cannot do it because we are lazy and just looking for excuses.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    These 3 references help bring it all together. First, you will struggle more with the pro-horn as it will be more like taming a fine wild woman. Second, what mouth piece you choose may "open" the horn a little more and make it less of a difficult blow, again just as a fine wine (and lots of it) may lower the apprehension of the wild woman, breaking down her defenses, and making her easier to tame. Lastly, loose the mute, will diminish the resistance, and help bring the horn into submission, just as removing a tightly fitting undergarment of the wild woman will ease the pain of male designed bondage, and allow her to relax more to respond to your whispers of sweat nothings into her ear.

I know the comparisons of trumpet aspects to women is a cheap shot, but I bet it got your attention, yes?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Professional players don't all play the same brands and models. I'd suggest mastering the Xeno--once you do that, the right horn will find you.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And once you master that "wild woman" then the right woman (Jennifer Aniston) will find you. [Just to keep the above analogy in context of my above comparison intact - right VB?]

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Jen hasn't found me yet--can anybody here hook us up? I don't have a horn that I love that hasn't been modified. Maybe I need some plastic surgery!

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    VB, the right one for you will find you, don't worry ;-) ...,gee she's coming:

[​IMG]

oups... :shock: don't hold you breath :lol:

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I've got a kithen knife and some superglue, the rest is up here^^. Let me know where and when, and we'll fix ya up real pritty!