Could my pro trumpet be holding back?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Invisible-Bob, Sep 8, 2011.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Trumpet players never need plastic surgery!!! We are all perfect exactly as we are...or maybe that's just me ;)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You my dear ARE truly perfect as you are. And while trumpet players may never really "need" plastic surgery, perhaps it's their "perception" that having a "valve" alignment now and again couldn't hurt. By the way this comment is in no way directed at VB as I do not need the HIPAA police comin' after me. Oh no; no HIPAA police need to be comin' afta me.

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    so a pro horn really isn't holding him babk.. is that what you are saying gmonady?

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Any great player will sound great on any decent trumpet, although they might prefer one to another. It's possible, however, to suck on every trumpet.

My plastic surgery comment was about maybe adding some pecs and guns--am handsome and cute but I'm an ectomorph. Came in handy rock-climbing, but girls tend to prefer men that are less lithe, and more stupid. So I was thinkin' "If I had plastic surgery and switched trumpet forums...." ;-)

5. the newbie

the newbie Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2011
    San Francisco
    starting on a student horn, you can step up to a pro horn. but if you start out on a pro horn then there is nothing to step up onto.

6. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Bob, all the more reason for you to get the most from your practice. But, like anything else that you have invested time and money, you have to make time to make it all work for you. For example, I have been retired for a couple of years now, and started back playing about 18 months ago. I practice about an hour per day, which is seven hours per week. Did you train for your present job at seven hours per week? Did you go to school for seven hours per week? I know that I did not, so if I want to improve to the next level, then I have to practice longer. I am now working on two hours per day. Now if my mind don't go and the "creek don't rise..." I intend to be better. I also still take lessons twice per month, and play in a community band.

Make the time, you won't regret it.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm saying it's not holding him back, it may give him more of a challenge to tame the tone, but it can be done with the right accessories and some devoted practice time (and perhaps removing a tight undergarment). Don't forget that wild woman comparison now!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahh, but now there is something to warm up to. Right?