Could the trumpet be THE most demanding instrument when it comes to practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reraom, Oct 28, 2011.

1. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    It seems like when you practice every day for a long time and then take a 2 or 3 day break you just take a HUGE step back. I don't think this is the case with any other istrument. Your endurance, range, tone suffer tremendously and it takes a few days just to get back in shape. Sometimes it's a little irritating when you have a job and othher activities and on certain days you'd really like to take a day off from playing trumpet, but then you understand that if you do, it will actually make it worse for the next day. Do you think it could be THE most demanding instrument that never really lets you take a break?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    No, I think that is the case with every brass instrument. I started to lean trombone but I didn't play for a week and it sounded like I never played one in my life

3. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    Every single trumpet player that I've spoken to who tried to play some trombone has told me that it is ridiculously easy compared to trumpet. Doesn't sound like it's true though, it could be the "my instrument is the most difficult to play" attitude. However, one piano player told me that when he decided to learn trumpet and sax, he realized that playing sax is like a joke compared to playing trumpet. Now that is an interesting opnion from a neutral standpoint.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Trombone was kind of easy since I already play trumpet, but switching mouthpieces is killer. The huge mouthpiece makes it seem like a trumpet mouthpiece is the size of a pin.

5. reraom

reraom New Friend

Oct 11, 2011
    ahaha, now imagine switching to tuba

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    In my opinion/experience, trumpet practice is difficult because it is so easy to spend huge amounts of time in unproductive or counterproductive practice. It takes a lot of practice to discover how to really practice effectively. Over 2 years into a comeback, I feel like I've just begun to uncover the intelligent, productive practice. One could practice 4 hours a day for years and make minimal progress. I don't know if it can happen with other instruments.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    In my high school days I played tuba for marching and wind enssemble. Then played trumpet in Jazz band but the break in between was such that I did not feel the effects to much. I actually mastered the tuba fairly easily and was the first chair for both Marching and wind enssemble. It could have just been me, but I think that trumpet is the more difficult of the brass family to master.

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I agree with Cody and Reraom that brass instruments require more than reed or string players. I switched from French Horn to trumpet, and initially thought that trumpet was easier because the partials were spaced so much better. HOWEVER after enough years playing to play more literature, the trumpets play longer and more difficult passages and require more endurance than Horn players, and the altissima register is called for more and more in modern charts, requiring stamina and range which require a regular regimen of practice in order to be able to perform. It is definitely more demanding over the long haul.

That being said, a GOOD oboeist is hard to find......

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, the trumpet is not more demanding than any other instrument in spite of the lips being the "generator" of sound.

Playing well involves retraining the mind. If we are successful at that, ANY instrument can be mastered. I played trumpet for a lot of years before taking up cornetto. The trumpet is about 1000 times easier. My old mind simply needs more retraining time.

Seriously, what makes an instrument easy or difficult is between the ears, not in your hands. The LEARNING curve is MUCH bigger than practicing.

My daughter is 19 and plays the oboe excellently.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But Rowuk, you gotta admit, playing through an 8 food garden hose with your daughter's oboe reed has gotta be painfully demanding! Very painfully demanding!