Could the trumpet be THE most demanding instrument when it comes to practice?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reraom, Oct 28, 2011.

1. wezley

wezley Pianissimo User

Oct 24, 2011
    I normally practice around 30 min to an hour a day on top of school band rehearsal which is around an hour and 45 min. long but when I don't play over the weekends or something because my lips get torn up from my braces I sound terrible once they have healed a couple days later..

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Bassoon has to be tough .... I heard a guy in Mexico a few years ago, sitting in with a jazz band, with his amplified bassoon. He was playing jazz with these guys, and had a pickup on the instrument. One of the coolest things I've ever witnessed.

Turtle

3. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    It's an amazing instrument and completely under-appreciated IMHO. If you want to feel dumb, check out a bassoon fingering chart.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't have need for a bass guitar or contrabassviol with a good bassoon in a combo! No tuba either!

5. Rabid

Rabid New Friend

Oct 25, 2011
    After being away for 35 years.

Trumpet is harder on my lips.
    Sax is harder to get a good tone and hold in tune.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    You never know where a new reed will play when you begin to play a sax and then it changes as you continue to play, the latter softening as it soaks up moisture. No durn tuning slide on that contraption to cope with other factors! I gave up, but my daughter enjoys them and plays very well IMO.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    THATS a mouthfull !!! Ever do sectionwork with a sax player that can't stay in tune...............Fingernails down a chalkboard sounds good compaired to that !!! :shhh:

8. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    That sounds like an instrument begging for refinement. I mean, we added a few holes to the natural trumpet to fix the intonation.

9. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    My daughter is an amateur (serious) violinist and she would agree with you. I played it briefly in high school and tried it again more for a lark than anything else. I could never master the vibrato and so my playing always sounded like I was torturing the neighbor's cat.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011