Could this be the future for musicians?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/10/03/musical.robot/index.html

I don't know how to re-act to this yet. On one hand I think its neat; on the other if a robot can play along learn and adapt what do they need section players for? And if the robots become smart enough who knows?

It's one thing to have recorded music coming from the pit; can you imagine having a robotic orchestra?

Hummmmm......

Something to think about

Either way I'm a pro-human kinda guy. Let's hope they don't advance this too much.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Think about the cheapskates who usually set the scale for paying musicians for gigs. Think they would spring for the $$$ to buy "blowbots"? Or an enterprising businessman who would buy a set to rent out - it would take years to recoup the start-up. Then there are repairs, storage, transportation, setup, and horns to buy. No, it's much cheaper to pay some trumpet hack like me $50 or $100 to show up and play a gig. I provide my own horn, transportation, off-site storage (house), and repairs(doctor bills).;-)

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'd think that you're right Dale.....

I was just musing out loud I guess.

I'm sure someone; somewhere; will try it.

Hopefully it'll fail!

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, my reply was somewhat tongue-in cheek. In my opinion, when live music is automated, it really isn't "live" any more. These contraptions are interesting, and will probably lead to some beneficial uses and offshoots such as the many everyday items developed from NASA research. A mechanical alternative to hiring live musicians was invented long ago - the phonograph.:shock:

5. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey i know some cat,s that can play like a robot....
    but they lack feeling and soul robot,s play parts, but were is the soul the feeling, ever see a robot play from the heart?
    Will a robot,s playing ever bring tears to your eye,s.
    Let,s not forget the human factor here, key word being human.
    peace and hairgrease!

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Clarence... "WORD"!

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yo' Clarence, you put that robot on "super blast". :D

8. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hi Alex,HI toots!

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Clarence, you are right on ... really. "Music" survived the music box, the player piano, the recording machine, sampling systems, the Moog (and all of it's variants), and now it'll survive a "robot". Why? For exactly the reason you pointed out: "LIVE MUSIC" can only be just that... LIVE... and therefor Human.

Now you'll have to excuse me while I finish cooking dinner... in a hurry 'cause we're headed off to see/hear the Canadian Brass this evening... LIVE!

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Nope...ain't gonna work

No director will be able to stand the response from a robot after he wings the baton at it for blowing an entrance for the 50th time. "You moronic, non-playing, piece of silica & titanium......whoosh......pingggg." Then nothing but silence, no attitude, no mumblings, no mutes getting kicked over, blowing the entrance just one more time outta spite.....just silence. Nope....ain't gonna work :lol: