counting question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Mickley, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    recently started playing in a new community band and the lead trumpet player was a high school band director for a couple of years. He is directing one piece at next weeks concert and he stated that when an eigth note is tied to any other note [such as a quarter or half note] the composer does not want the tied note played the eigth that is tied on but that to hold the note the full value before the eigth. the eigth note is actually a rest. This was confusing to me as I was always used to playing the notes to their value and the resting to the value of the rest that was written. He was very emphatic that this was how composers get someone to play a whole-half or quarter note to their correct value. I guess at 60 yrs. of age I learn something new all the time. To the good musicians out there have I been wrong all these years or is he full of beans?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Unless there is some specific style he is looking for he is full of beans.

3. govtmodel

govtmodel Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Rhode Island
    If the composer wanted a rest he would have put in a rest. That said, my music director periodically has us make as a penciled change to the music the articulation you described, but only when he wants a particular change, not as a policy.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    that's one of the silliest things I've ever heard. It's an eighth NOTE not an eighth rest!

bigtiny

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    For some reason, I've seen this and heard that same excuse several times. Here's my take on it: Do what you need to do to get tehe call back! Ha. If the director wants you to cut off the tie, do it. If he/she wants you to play through it, do it.

As far as the whole "composer wanted it this way" comment.... Is the composer still alive? Try calling them and ask! Ha.

6. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    If they don't want it as written, and they can't describe w/o confusion, then ask him to "sing it".

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with Bear. The director sounds bonkers to me, but if that's what he wants then play it. At the end of the day he's calling the shots, so go with the flow if you want to keep the gig...

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Was it the composer or the arranger who added the "extra eighth?" I've seen this "trick" used before, (and have used it myself) when arranging. It works. Besides, the conductor is always right, even when they are wrong!

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I have always been of the opinion that "conductors are most resistant to taking direction". That does not mean that those of us under their direction have the priveledge of disputing their direction in any way.

OLDLOU>>

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I always pencil in any directions that a director asks for because in the course of my playing days it seems that many directors change the music to fit their interpretation of what each piece should sound like[they hold the stick so play what they want]. The reason that I posed the question is that said director made a blanket statement stating that "all" composores use this method to get the player to make sure they play the note that is tied to the eigth to get full value and to "never" play the eigth note,it is a rest.. I always thought if they were concerned to play a half or quarter note to full value they would put a line over it. I always try to play to the directors wishes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009