Counting time

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Nov 13, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Is is realy possible to actually count and play at the same time. for example 4/4 time subdived to quavers is it possible to count 1...8 for each bar and play? or is it soemthing you feel? or is it something you only do when slowing a piece down to practice? please give me as many ideas as possible I am sure there are many out there with the same thoughts.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Subdivided into eighths, I assume you mean?

I say all of the above.
    When practicing, I slow down and subdivide so I know how to count while playing it. Eventually, however, you may just be able to feel that subdivision from having played the piece so much, or in certain genres how the pulse is.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    The longer you play the easier it becomes. I don't think of it as counting so much as staying in meter. The only time I ever have to think is when I am reading complicated rythmns. After a while you hear what the music says just like reading a book

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Yes.

gmonady likes this.
  5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Sometimes my teacher has me subdividing the notes all into 8ths or 16ths, depending on the piece. It helps me hold the notes for their "full" value playing in the actual value.

BB

6. Zach

Zach New Friend

Aug 23, 2012
    honestly it's not necessary to be able to say in your head the rhythm as you play it. That would be like having to pay attention to the voice inside your head as you read a book. You don't pay attention to the voice, you just go with the flow of the words. Of course, being able to count rhythms is crucial to understanding them and being able to teach them as well as being practical for breaking down complex things. Instead of worrying about this, what you DO want to pay attention to is your tone. Your musicality. Your articulation. Dynamics. All of that

7. Needs Practice

Needs Practice New Friend

Oct 14, 2012
    San Jose CA.
    Three observations:

1. This thread shows again that idea of two nations divided by a common language. Eights and quavers. I'm glad I'm bilingual. As a child I learned to read breves, semibreves, crochets and quavers. In my adopted country of the US, I'm speaking a foreign musical language.

2. To your question "is it possible to count 1...8"? When working with 4/4 signature (for example), I have never counted beyond four. But I do count "one and two and three and four and". When I'm playing semiquavers (must I translate? ;-) ) it becomes "one tah dah dah two tah dah dah" and so one in my head. And so I was taught from the age of three, so it is rather ingrained.

3. As others have said, the more you play, the easier it becomes and the more you "sense" it. However when playing a new piece I must still slow it down bar by bar if the rhythm is complex, until I am familiar with it. This is especially true for me with syncopated rhythms. As a kid I always used to trip up with triplets too - because they didn't fit into my one tah dah dah logic. Eventually the penny dropped.

To Zach's point above - yes - the more you play the less you need to analyze the rhythm in your head. Most of us can play a bar of four quarter notes without any sense of counting it out in our head. As we become more familiar with more complex patterns, that same ease extends across those complex patterns. It becomes intuitive.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Recently I have been having a blast marching around or dancing while I practice. I think it helps with my counting to put the left foot on one(right foot if its a samba). ROFL :play: :thumbsup:

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Feeling is believing... and on slow days when the feel is not quit there, I use this fancy rhythm instrument called "the foot". Works every time!

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I do like subdividing traditional (3/4 or 4/4) rhythms. For instance 7/8 would I tap out by foot: 1,2,3; 1,2,3,4. Or 11/8 as: 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3,4; 1,2,3. Or 5/4: 1,2,3; 1,2.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012