Couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by askderek19, May 5, 2011.

1. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    That's true, but being a complete musician or trumpet player isn't only about high notes either :)

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    YES - I know, but the question was WHY? do people worry about range and high notes -- --BECAUSE they are all thinking about HIGH notes -- and not the rest of the notes.

Besides - if you can't play like these guys - then what does it matter about everything else?? LOL, ROFL

YouTube - 1977 Kilties drum and bugle corps solo

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    the majority of answers to those question are do you have an instructor... not sure what your point is Bill

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    My guess is because developing a solid upper register, is probably the most misunderstood thing about the trumpet.

5. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Hi Dave, I'm certainly not finding any fault with the question, I'm just observing that there are much more questions asked on this forum regarding high note playing than other aspects of musicianship. I think you would agree that being a good musician/trumpet player involves a well rounded skill set. I would recommend to any young trumpet player not to get so caught up on learning how to scream right away that you don't develop other aspects of your playing. This was good given to me when I was coming up...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I disagree. This is not chicken and egg. IF a player prepares themselves in an intelligent way, the upper register develops with the brainpower to use those notes. Shortcuts to the top is like diabetes: you have something that is normally not bad for you (sugar) killing you because of something missing (insulin).

Unfortunately high notes are easier to get than brains.

I agree with Bay Area Brass 100%. We get far too few questions about lead style and far too many face breakers.

7. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Bill,
    I posted something a few weeks back about trumpet players hitting high notes and golfers trying to hit 300+ yd drives .... something very similar in the mental process ... long drives don't mean better scores ... perhaps it's the illusion that if you can drive the ball as far as a pro or hit the notes in the stratospher "you too can be a pro" ... and the positive feedback given to those endeavors doesn't really help... I don't mean by this forum I am talking about the masses who get seduced by these things. Then someone posted a video collage of clips from youtube of people playin a Double C ..hillarious to watch.. hideous to listen to. Robin had the best quote "tea kettle blues" ... Unfortunately there is something flashy to hitting these notes ... sad to say.
    So if we can save one soul from blowing out there chops then I guess it's a win .... looking forward to more of your comments.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Robin... what's a face breaker?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    "How do I build my range?", is one of the most asked questions on this forum. And while there is some questions on tone (airy, flubbed, clams) they are not as frequent. This is the observation that master's theses in music are made from.

Perhaps in range building, we succeed attaining better control. When achieving better control, tones in the lower registers are better developed. Or not - Null Hypothesis. Anyway, this would be an interesting study to see if range and tone do (or do not) correlate.

Any master's students out there wanting to develop this more into a thesis?

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wait a minute -- YOU GUYS are leaving out all those mouthpiece people who have drawers full of useless mpcs -- and where are their brains??

high range will develop - I agree -- BUT I was merely pointing out the attitude and desire of trumpet players -- if they don't see a note is available --then they are unconcerned how it SHOULD sound. ((you see - a High C, or a Double C -- is a defined objective, a real note --- while intonation, sound, musicality is in the ear of the beholder -- it is a subjective quantity/quality)

I mean c'mon - that is why Maynard, Wayner Bergeron, and Arturo sell/sold their music --- the high range ---- Maynard and the rest could/can do AWESOME ballads --- but you rarely hear people say that --"""oh Maynard, he was the best at ballads!!""" --- no, Maynard was known as "the lip" for the high range.

Last edited: May 9, 2011