Courtois Cornet Chambord II (106)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gregc, Dec 15, 2005.

1. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    Anyone have a hands-on review or heards one in person?
    I'm looking for thoughts on these.
    Thanks,
    Gregc

2. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    does courtois still make those? perhaps i'm thinking of a different model.
    i played a demo courtois cornet some years ago...very mellow.

dj

3. Bart

Bart New Friend

Dec 15, 2005
    I have its predecessor, the Chambord I (with a gold/rose brass bell). I have no idea what they changed in the Chambord II, so take my review for what it is worth.
    I compared mine to a bandmember's Besson Sovereign, the 'standard' for brass band playing. The Courtois was very similar in sound, but somewhat warmer (might be due to the goldbrass bell). It is always very difficult to describe sound, but anyway.... the Courtois has a warm, mellow sound that would fit very well in a British brass band setting. Hope this helps. Mouthpiece selection is critical for getting a 'true' cornet sound (I now play a Curry VC 1.25 and before that a Denis Wick RW3B).
    The owner of the Besson mentioned above and myself also agreed that the Courtois was slightly more responsive or 'easier to play'.
    The only 'negative' is that the slotting of the Courtois gets kind of slippery/flexible from A above the stave and upward, at least compared to most trumpets I have played. You really have to aim for the right note and use your ears.
    Hope this helps.