Courtois Evolution 2

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    After my lesson today with Mr. Suska, we got onto the subject of horns. Turns out he was a Yamaha clinition (I figured, since his main horn is a Yammie. The Yamaha he got custom made is a large-bore, he doesn't use it much). But, I am kind of going off subject...

He mentioned that his absolute favorite horn of all time was probably the biggest surprise ever. He was allowed to try a Evolution 2 for a concert. Said he played so well on it the sound guy came up to him after the concert and asked what he had done over the weekend. He said the intonation was the best hed ever encountered, like "the horn found the pitch for him." He didn't buy it, since he has two girls in college, and he doesn't see himself getting better gigs because of a horn.

The main point behind my little tale: Has anyone else had the chance to play on the Evolution 2? Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with horn, or if my idea that "everyone has their own personal horn" idea can be further reinforced...

Van

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have not played one, but I have heard, like you, from some who have. No doubt about it, it is a quality horn.

But I believe in your idea that "everyone has their own personal horn". Once you get to a certain level, I think a horn is a matter of personal choice. Everyone has a difference sound, different lips and embouchures. It has to be somewhat personal. But you have to get to a certain high level of craftsmanship.

The Courtois instruments look pretty cool too -- that doesn't hurt. Kind of a Monette like quality.

[​IMG]

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I've played one of those things - it did nothing for me. I'm not a fan of 'heavy' horns, so that would probably be why. I think it looks nice though.

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Im just the opposite, Jack. The light horns are harder to control to me. I never liked the extra vibration, either.

I love the look of the Evo 2, especially the ring. The "matte lacquer" looks more like poo, though. :D

Van

5. Seinman

Seinman New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Derby, UK
    I had one and loved it. A friend of mine says out of all the horns I owned I sounded best on that. Why dd I sell it?? Hmmm....

Any the lacquer is pretty nasty, as thick as paint almost. Here is what I had done to it.......

[​IMG]