Couturier trumpets

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by oldlou, Sep 1, 2005.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I hope that you all noticed the plurality of my subject line.
    I went to a flea market with my brother in law this morning and bought a King Tempo,( H.N.White ) cornet.in as new condition, nice except for a stuck tuning slide for $20.00 with a beautiful King brand gladstone case and a 7C Benge m/p . After paying the vendor, he mentioned that he had a few other musical instruments that he hadn't put out on his tables yet. he had a Chinese,( plastic ) clarinet,YUCKYPOO, an ancient Marceau short cornet minus the lead pipe extension, case and mouthpiece in fair shape $15.00, and wonder of all wonders, a gold plated Couturier trumpet in the original,( beat but sound )case with two extra main tuning slides. I got that one for $20.00 because someone had tried it out and proclaimed it to be a leaker. There isn't a dent or ping in it, the bell is engraved all of the way arround, but, the rotary quick change to the key of A WAS leaking. Someone had put a fiber washer under the cap of the rotor valve. After I removed the fiber washer and packed the rotor valve with heavy cup grease the leak is gone. I also took pity on the poor fellow and relieved him of an Armstrong silver flute in pristine condition with the sterling mark on it for the princely sum of $5.00. The pads and springs are just like new. In a factory case too.
    The gist of my story is that I now have TWO gold plated Couturier trumpets. Now, you can all stop drooling and rejoice with me.

OLDLOU>>

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    custom built Couturier

I have had my second Couturier for two days today. I just discovered that standard shank,( Bach, Yamaha, Holton, King, Conn, and Olds ), mouthpieces will not fit into the receiver of this old horn. The mouthpiece that came with it is a factory Couturier which looks at a glance to be a trumpet mouthpiece, but, the shank is smaller in diameter than any trumpet mouthpiece in my inventory. Amazingly, when I stuffed a Bach, Benge, and Holton Collegiate mouthpiece into the receiver, they all fit perfectly. With the extensive full circle engraving, all round the bell and the cornet leadpipe and receiver combination, I have no choice but to assume that this was a custom order horn. My first Couturier has a totally different look to the receiver and uses any standard trumpet mouthpiece. Oh, how I wish that I could find a source for build out information on these old Couturiers. Has anyone ever found such a source?

OLDLOU>>

3. Harrelson1

Harrelson1 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Maryland
    Lou: So, can you elaborate why you like these? Are they like a vintage Martin Handcraft-type trumpet? What is special about them? I saw one for $350 and might go for it, but since I have a few old/vintage trumpets, don't want to buy another similar horn... :shock:

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Couturier trumpets/cornets

Because of the totally conical bore with no valve tuning slides with sharply radiused curves. The tuning loops are made with a much more widely radiused curve, the horn has a much easier, freer blow, and a fantastic projection with the sweetness and darkness of tone of a fine cornet. This on a trumpet. The valves are quite large in diameter with full diameter porting. The rotary valve quick change to A is no longer a usable item, as, I haven't seen a score written in A since I was a youngster,( many years ago). The build quality is as good as any I have ever seen. The principal trumpeter of the Grand Rapids, Mi.symphony was here last week, playing most of my horns and after playing both of my Couturiers he stated that he wished his Strads were as good and that he is going to keep his eyes open for one to buy and use in the orchestra.

Take my word, they are a fine horn, if in good condition.

OLDLOU>>