Crack on slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 28, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Well there were some dents so I found a guide on fixing dents with ice.
    So I put water in the slide put it in the freezer and pulled it out in 3 hours and the dents became cracked.
    OMG can someone give me some temporary repair procedures?

2. just

just Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2013
    Everywhere
    I would suggest to take it to someone who knows what he/she is doing...

3. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    I was thinking of buying a brass sheet and repatching with blutack or solder.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    HELP!! NO!! The older Blutack gets, the more difficult it is to get off, and the lacquer usually goes with it.
    Look at Ivan's signature: Don't attempt repairs without the necessary technical knowledge!!

Get that hooter to a qualified tech, and don't mess around with it anymore (or learn instrument repair properly - quite a good career, and there might even be money in it).

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Water turns to ice when left in the freezer.

Water expands when it freezers - it does not expand only at a dent. Where did you get this idea from. It is a bad joke, and I think you are pulling our leg (s).

Go see a tech, but I really feel sorry for him.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    OK I believe you, just read a few bad experiences with French Horns... this is a not so smart idea.

It relies more on luck than science. You need to seal the ends - I read with latex gloves and rubber bands. Just goes to show how gullible some people are. Sad news though. Patches can fix splits.

I still cannot believe you did this without asking here first..

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Sure you can. ;-)

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    This is one of the more ridiculous diy repair attempts I have seen. Thanks for the chuckle. Yeah go ahead, you might as well try to patch it yourself at this point. Any real tech will probably just replace the crook if you ever decide to take it to one. So who cares, solder away....

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Please post the link on ice repair. :roll: Thanks for the laugh even if it was unintended!!!

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    On what horn did you do this to? I feel you did nothing wrong, and gained experience. Nothing wrong with learning the hard way! If it were to be your main horn that is still in good condition then a pro in the trade would be the best option. If your not to concerned about how it looks go ahead and patch it yourself. I just recently JB Welded my leadpipe back on my t602 and reattached the third slide kick ring clamp, turned out pretty nice. Now I will carefully file the excess off and figure out what DIY way I can approximate spot silverplate. I stand with the DIYers out there, but I would never "try" anything major with my B47 apart from polishing, cleaning, or general maintenance. But with the silver t602 that you should have received pics of, well all bets off-I am going to attempt fixing it with whatever method I think might work. Keep at it and you will learn what works and what doesn't! Also you could just duct tape the crack, why not?