Crack on slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    And depending on the outcome of this auction I will be getting a Selmer Signet cornet that is pretty ratted out. I bid because I need another case and it doesn't hurt that I will also get another horn and mouthpiece. But as for the horn I will see what I think it needs and then attempt to "repair" to the best of my ability, not going to sink money into something like that. It looks like the leadpipe is riddled with red rot and I'm thinking about somehow coating the inside with epoxy or pour melted plastic through it and and buffing/honeing it out with a brass gun barrel brush

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    OY........[​IMG]

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Was it done on a Super Recording?? :roll::roll::roll: I know, for some of ya'll, not even funny!!!

4. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Crack has led to many a sorry slide.

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    That's a way to put it...

6. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    JB Weld cures (pun intended) a lot of problems, many of them more serious than a cracked brass slide. I don't think you could pay me enough to use it on even a POS horn, since I can solder, but it's still a valid option for those just tinkering around. It vastly reduces the chances of self-inflicting 1st/2nd/3rd-degree burns and/or setting one's house on fire and having it burn to the ground just because you thought you'd try to solder something without having the skill/judgment to do it safely. Epoxy does generate a bit of heat in the curing process, however, so maybe there is danger with its inept misuse, too.

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Ok, I think I'll leave this thread from now on... I love horns too much to even bear thinking about what some of you are doing to them... even ratted out horns deserve some respect, because they served someone (sometimes even generations) faithfully.

8. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    BrassBandMajor....
    First, don't buy a Scherzer. Clearly, you need some time before you make that step up.

Second, please don't attempt any more repairs! Ask us if you have any questions, but we will probably always say this. First you cracked your slide, which is bad enough, but then you wanted to "fix" it with some really non-trumpet designed materials. This is just getting worse every day. I hope it was one of your Chinese junk horns. I might try that too on a junk horn!

If you want to continue your repairs, my suggestion is that you buy a TIG welder and put a piece of aircraft aluminum on the slide. It will never crack again.

gunshowtickets likes this.
  9. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Well, I don't know to tell you other than what's been said.
    Take it too a tech. If you know somebody who shoots (not very many legal guns on your little kiwiland), you can cut up a brass case for the patch and solder it on.

Oh, irony. Post #308, lol.