Crack on slide

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 28, 2015.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    It appears you may be unclear on the intended uses of a cornet. But since it's just a student-model Yamahonker, try duct tape. It's more reversible than JB Weld. If that's not enough, there's always baling wire.

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

3. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    Sorry, I forgot to include the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl8qfu-ojTQ

4. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.

5. majdan

majdan New Friend

Dec 22, 2013
    Tigard, OR
    First, to the OP's original question. In addition to duct and Cello-tape. I have also used aluminium tape. You do not want to use a method that makes a real repairman's job harder in the end. It's kind of like non-destructive BDAR (Battle Damage Assessment and Repair). It appears like you have muffed this one and will most likely have to send it to a shop. To the all of you who say, "Gadzooks you fool, you should have taken it to a good shop!", well I can bet that you have never been to some hell-hole like Clark's Point AK, Baghdad, Kandahar or Al-Asad AB (or rural America for that matter) with only one horn and have to blow taps at a memorial service in 24 hours. Most of this earth doesn't have access to competent techs. Those of us who have spent a lot of time in the weeds learn to fix our own stuff or it will stay broken. This applies to machinery, weapons, and even fingers and toes. I have learned a lot from working on my own horns. I acquired my experience working on junkers and in situations where I didn't have a very picky audience. The biggest lesson that I have learned is what I CAN DO and what I CANNOT DO. There are certain times when the only solution, even in the sticks, is to send it to a shop. Then again I have never spent over $300 on a horn and as you can see from my sig. I have a few, most of which required a little work on my part.