Crazy idea

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SilverHorn, Feb 22, 2009.

1. SilverHorn

SilverHorn Pianissimo User

Feb 2, 2009
    Alabama
    I know there are threads somewhere concerning "bathing" trumpets, but I was just wondering if anyone has placed or considered placing their trumpet in the dishwasher. If a dishwasher can do wonders for pots and pans, just imagine how clean your horns. Good idea? Or would it damage the horn.

2. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I think the Washing Machine/Dryer works better for that sort of thing

3. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    My initial thoughts are these:

1. Dunno how safe the detergent would be for plating/lacquer (I used Ivory Liquid or similar "mild" soaps in a sink bath)

2. The drying cycle m-a-y get too hot for the finishes also.

I think I have heard someone at a bridal registry (hey, my wife made me go with her....) say you never wash silverplate in a dishwasher.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    First, you are going to get mostly an external cleaning and not the internal cleaning that trumpets so desperately need each month. Second, watch the water temperature. Never clean a brass instrument in hot water! Third, I'll pass...

5. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Dishwasher liquid is VERY alkaline (high pH). Not good for either lacquered or silver trumpets. And indeed, the drying cycle may be too hot for a lacquered horn. You might be able to run a silver trumpet through without the dishwasher liquid, but why take the chance?

I suggest keeping it simple. Hand wash with a very gentle soap. Silver polish or a polishing cloth for the silver trumpets.

Take a Zen approach: think about cleaning your instrument as part of your practice routine to become a better player.:D

IMHO
    Steve

6. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
    Read Mark Curry's post on this. 14th post down (second of his in the thread):

Forum: trumpetherald.com

Try it on something you're not emotionally attached to!

Bill

7. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    HA! There was the story years ago of a guy who put his wife's wedding ring in a dishwasher. The heat/action loosened an already loose fitting, and the diamond went down the drain. Oooops...sorry, honey. Here, you can have my Lawler...

I think he was from Oklahoma....

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    The water temperature alone could damage the horn and the lacquer that covers it.... dishwashers typically use water in the 55–65 degrees Celsius or 130–150 degrees Fahrenheit range.... much hotter than what comes out of the tap (generally in the 90-120 degrees fahrenheit range), and I know several people on this site alone have claimed to use hot tap water to strip instruments down to bare metal. I know many professional grade kitchen knives and non-stick pots suggest not using dishwasher due to damage and warpage caused by excessive high heat exposure. Just seems like there are too many things that could go wrong to even attempt such a thing.

9. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used to take my silver plated Bach Strad apart and put it into the bathtub with hot water for about an hour. Then I would use my snake and dish dertergent to clean the horn. It worked fine. You can't do this with lacquered horns.
    Bob

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My strong advice to non trained techs is the old military saying, K.I.S.S.. Keep it simple, stupid.

OLDLOU>>