Crazy Show stories

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by miles71, Sep 4, 2007.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Well, I have played some interesting pit gigs, but last night I had a first. I am playing "Chicago" and during a big solo spot in the last act I felt a blunt object hit me in the back. Of course my ninja like reflexes kicked in and I was able to divert the force of the blow and continue to play. It was the Bass Clarinet from the row behind me that didnt quite make it on to the stand.

Dont worry, all involved are ok. Just wondered what other stories we could get out of this one.

TD

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    years ago I used to do a lot of local musicals and during "Minnie's Boys" I had a flugal solo where I stood and one of the Marx brothers would sing off-key and the pit orch. would throw veggies at him. the trombone player took a complete head of lettuce and let it fly, it caught the side of my flugal at took it right off of my face. I held on to the horn and nothing was hurt but the audience really enjoyed it. Dave

3. conncoprion

conncoprion New Friend

May 16, 2007
    I remember back in jr high we were having our spring concert...all was going well and we had just completed a song. It was dead calm...and we were so proud of ourselves...well apparently one of our trombone players let go of his slide by accident. We were all seated on a giant stage with platforms....steps of platforms (levels) they looked like giant wide stairs...so he let's go of the slide and falls all three levels...rattling, and clanging in the *perfect silence* The parents laughed...then we laughed...and the we all had a good time making fun of him.

Another time...in jr high band all of us trumpet players were sitting at attention...and this goof ball let go of his trumpet...of course it made a giant *clang* and we all looked on in horror as he picked it up. Yep you guessed it...the bell had a nice 90* degree bend in it. Our band director just shook his head...(apparently he did get it fixed) :D

4. lemons

lemons Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2006
    Subbing on a show a few years back, the announcement for silencing yourself, your cell phone, etc., played. In the split second of silence before the overture.........the conductor's cell phone rang. He very casually checked it, silenced it and then gave the downbeat.

-Kevin

5. mbtpter227

mbtpter227 New Friend

Feb 3, 2007
    So-Cal
    This past year I was playing in the pit orchestra for the musical "Jekyll & Hyde." In the middle of the big numbers (Murder, Murder), the orchestra would play a two bar line and one of the girls would appear to say her line, which was the cue for the rest of the cast to enter the stage. The second night in, the girl forgot to come out :cool:. Our director had us quickly reset back to the two bar cue and the girl came out looking quite confused. Needless to say the orchestra went back and repeated that two bar line a few more times. Sometimes singers aren't the brightest bunch eh? :lol: :dontknow:

That same night one of the tables a cast member was lying in completely collapsed.

We had a good laugh watching that show at the cast party.

6. ejaime23

ejaime23 Pianissimo User

Jul 27, 2007
    Houston,TX
    A few years back while playing Sweet Charity we rehearsed one of the big strip numbers (Big Spender I think) where the girls take off their robes and do their number in a negligee, what they DIDN'T rehearse at the dress rehearsals, and forgot to mention to the orchestra was that when they took off the robes they were going to throw them into the pit. The first performance had about 5 sec. of silence in the orchestra from robes falling on all of us and covering our music, it was a panicky moment when it happened, but it was really funny by the end of the show, the rest of the performances they had guys catching robes among the orchestra before they fell on us, just a bit less distracting.

7. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Not a "pit" story... but we had one conductor for a local community orchestra here in Phx actually answer his cell during a introduction he was giving of the next piece of music. He talked on the phone for a bit (while the audience listened in), then as if someone had walked into the room he said, "I have to go, I'm conducting a concert right now".

8. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    When I was in middle school the band was playing a concert on the high school's stage - and right after one of our pieces a dead bat fell from the ceiling. It scared a lot of us kids. A little gross, but I don't think it's every day dead bats fall from the rafters.

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    surprised it didn't go in a tuba bell.... LOL

10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    yeah, fortunately it fell right next to the director. :)