creeping tounge

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Dec 30, 2006.

1. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    lately i have notice when ever i am tounging my tounge is hitting really far forward in my mouth(the back of my teeth). which i think is the cause of my inabilty to tounge fast passages accurately. it also make the begining of my note sound shakey sometimes. Do any of you trumpet masters know any goood excersises to get my tounge in the right place and to increase my tounging speed and accuracy.

P.S. it also seems as if my whole tounge is involved with my tounging (if that means anything)

-Greatly appreciated

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Fixing something always involves the same steps - figure out what is wrong, find out what to do about it, do it.
    You are already on the right road! You have identified the problem, in principle you even know what to do about it.
    My suggestion, Clarke or Arban. Start without the horn, tongue very lightly just above your teeth: quarters, then eighths, then 16ths. Once this works reliably, add the horn. ALWAYS start slowly and softly in the middle register, then expand. Your brain and muscles work exactly the same way when playing slow or fast. Training slowly and 100% correctly stores those movements for recall later. Training 85% stores that also for recall later - with the BAD 15% being recalled first!
    Changing your tonguing will also probably change other facets of your playing. The tongue position in your mouth influences the high range. If you have been playing with a brutal attack, your lips will have to get used to "speaking" with the lighter attack. Do not change anything a couple of days before a concert. If your schedule is light, start right away.
    As always - a good teacher can get you moving forward faster than any self-help. Regardless of how good you are, it is useful to have someone you trust watching.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2007
  3. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    this is interesting. when i tounge i feel that my tounge is pushing against the back of my top row of teeth. i always assumed that was normal....is it not? where's the "correct" spot if any?

4. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It may be different for different people; different mouth shape, size, etc. If you are experiencing problems with it, look into it and figure out how to manipulate what you have to make it work. If not, well... as my teacher says...

If it works, don't fix it!