Crestone trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Vince, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Vince

Vince New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Does anyone have any info to share on Crestone trumpets. An older gentleman has joined our community band and he has a Vintage Crestone trumpet. It was made in Western Germany pre 1954.

We know it was pre 1954 because he still has the original receipt from when he bought it in Toronto. He paid $89 for it brand new. I'm guessing that was a lot of money back then.

I've cleaned up the oxidation on it for him as well as cleaned his valves which worked perfectly after sitting for all these years.

thanks,
    Vince

2. aspires

aspires Pianissimo User

Mar 15, 2008
    Wow... not even a single mention of Crestone anywhere on all of the horn-u-copia website. That IS rare! Wish I could be of any help.:dontknow:

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    It is nice that man is wanting to play, you have a group there and you are checking out the trumpet. I do many investigations of vintage horns, but this one is unknown to me. It is likely a "stencil", meaning an instrument made on contract from an instrument maker for a particular retailer. Maybe the dealer in Toronto sold a line of instruments with this name affixed? $89 would be several hundred in today's money.

Photos are helpful to get some design clues. There may be similarities to some W. German makers we do know about, like Huttl, Boehm and Meinl, etc.

Photos can be pasted here from a site like Flickr, Photobucket or the like.

4. Vince

Vince New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
    Thanks for looking guys. The only mention I have found of this horn was an Kijiji add from someone selling one that was made by the same manufacturer with some subtle changes to it. The funny thing is that the seller is only about 50 miles from the original pruchase point of this horn.

It doesn't look like a huttle.

I will try to figure out how to post a picture of it for you to take a look at.

Vince

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hope you can add photos. Multiple views if possible. :dontknow:

6. Vince

Vince New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Newmarket, ON, Canada
  7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi Vince, the pictures came through. Now we can begin scratching our heads for some ideas.:-)

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
  9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Could you take pics of the full length , each side , to show any braces, Pinky hook design, etc? I was looking at photos of Bohm Meinl trumpets on HUC and see some similarities, but I am no expert.

10. mountainresident

mountainresident New Friend

Mar 26, 2014
    SW Ontario
    And another Crestone stamp marked "Germany" in South Western Ontario! I saw this thread before I paid $50 for it from someone off kijiji. [​IMG] So I knew I was buying a bit of a mystery. It's for my son to play at home, rather than cart the school issued one back & forth on the bus, with a violin in the other hand, some days. I'm posting some pictures. Still no mention of this brand name on horn-u-copia, either.

ETA: Oh, my photo files are too big. Will need to reduce size. Back in a bit...