Crisp clear double tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tomknierim, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tomknierim

tomknierim New Friend

May 6, 2007
    Hi ,

I'm looking for advice on developing quick clear double tonguing.
    I have a trio to play in May , "Roller-Coaster", and I really want to have cleaner staccato double tonguing.

Tom

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tom,
    Herbert Clarke has the method that helped me the most:
    practice slowly and very softly, practice the t and k syllables separately and then together. Practice EVERY day.
    Crisp means t and k not d and g!

3. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Earle D. Irons has a great book that is mostly flexibility exercise but there is a great section on double and triple tounging.

4. mrtrpt

mrtrpt New Friend

Sep 23, 2007
    Along with practicing your double tonguing, you should practice being able to play the solo all single tongued and get it to sound exactly the way you want, just at a slower tempo. One thing I like to challenge myself with is: can I play this single tongued as good as Sergei plays it at his speed? So that I just sound like Sergei in "slow motion".

Then get it to sound exactly the same (at that same speed) double tongued (this may take "some" time...). This gives your ear a model for what you want to sound like. Remember that double tonguing shouldn't "sound like double tonguing" it should just sound like really fast single tonguing,

(if you can get the whole thing to sound the way you want 'k' tongued then you should really have no problems...).

A big part of mulitiple tonguing well is also the coordination between the tongue and the fingers and I find that by practicing this with the horn off my face to be quite valuable.

MR