Critique my playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garmeth, Dec 9, 2011.

1. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
  2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Metronome for both --

The first slows down mostly, then picks up a little towards the end.
    The scales speed up --- you notice them being harder to play, and some mistakes are made. That's probably why.

I feel that you're "pecking" a little at your eighth notes in both. Let them be fuller in tone. (Being a little picky)

You seem to know what you're playing, though. Since you do, see what you can do about phrasing in the first one. If you can feel the music you can make, you'll probably be able to play it better. Phrasing will help you in the scales as well, so you can connect them a little better and more coherently. Do they not want multiple octaves?

Keep up the good work in my opinion, just hack out details and get a solid pulse and you should be fine.

3. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    Ok thank you, I'll resume practicing more with a metronome, I didn't think it was that big of an issue. Yea, I've received the pecking comments before, are there any exercises that you recommend to help fast tounging sound more full?

What do you mean by phrasing in both pieces? Just dynamic contrast?

No they don't want multiple octaves, for the chair test I only have to play 6 scales, for the actual Illinois audition there are 6 more, for trumpet players IMO this is the hardest thing out of all for the audition that we need to play, most peoples lips die by the end and then the others (like me) suck while they try to tounge it reasonably fast because it sounds picky. I'm going to really hammer those scales for next year though.

4. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    It's enough that it affects your accuracy (rhythmic and articulation), so it should be addressed. (metronome)

For an exercise:
    Arban number.. 10 I believe, the first part. Play it slowly, get used to tonguing full (perhaps even a little legato). Speed it a little up once you have what you're looking for, repeat and continue. The key is to maintain a constant flow of air, and just interfering with the air stream slightly with your tongue.

Phrasing isn't just dynamics in this case, although that can always help with etudes. It's the idea of instead of playing a 10 notes, you're playing a line. This is especially good on scales, where you can try to make it sound less like 8 notes up and 7 down, and instead like a melodic line that moves up and back down. Best I can do with explaining it, in person playing demonstrations help best.

Don't try to play the scales too fast, just get them at a reasonable tempo and have great tonguing, sound, and phrasing. Again, maintaining your airflow will assist with that, as well as ease the load off of your muscles.

Side note: you may be also playing the 12 at too high of a tempo. a metronome will help address this. And phrasing should help it build and then resolve into the ending.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The shallow breathing bothered me the most. Every note sounded like it was WORK.

Air and tongue and brain are not connected.

My suggestion: don't change ANYTHING unless your audition is at least 8 weeks out. It will only get worse before it gets better. Stability in playing comes from the bottom up. You need a couple of weeks of VERY basic body use and breathing. All of the metronome stuff will not help until the foundation is laid. After that, the pulse may be just fine because your body will let it be that way.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great advice! I keep a metronome and a small recorder in my gig bag, and use them both daily during my practice routine.

Mike

7. garmeth

garmeth New Friend

Dec 4, 2010
    To Mark,

to clarify things, my phrasing was bad on the scales?

To Rowuk,

what exactly do I need to do to improve my breathing/etc after the audtion?

8. Mark_Kindy

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I think you just weren't thinking about it. It can always be better, even if it's not bad.
    But no, it wasn't terrible. It's not untypical for a player of your age to not consider it, but to really bring out your playing, thinking and focusing on making music is key.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    It takes guts and true desire to play the trumpet the best you can to post your playing and welcome criticism. Bravo on that account. Because I am not an expert as others here, I will just say that I enjoyed it.

BrotherBACH

10. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    It's sounding pretty good. Great technique.

For the scales, I would suggest 2 things:
    1)I don't know the exact note values, but I'll assume the scales are in 16th notes? If so, give the 8th notes (or the notes at the bottom of the scale) some space (shorter) before starting the scale.... in fact, I'd say make it closer to a 16th note in terms of length. Doing this sounds better than legato-ing into the scalar passages.

2)Once you do #1 you'll be in a better situation as far as BREATHING on the scale exercise. I would suggest giving a solid breath every 4 "scales", on the eighth note (bottom note of the scales). This might cause you to "lose" a little time, but that won't matter as long as you keep the rest of your playing steady and in tempo.