Critique wanted! (Video)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Myshilohmy, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    I recorded myself today in the practice room working on some lip 'trills' (not quite there yet, haha). But I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys here. I know my upper register is not very great, and it seems to be at a decline. I was wondering if some more experienced players could spot something I am doing wrong that may be slowing my progress.

Lip trills - YouTube

Also, I know I need to shave. :)

coolerdave likes this.
  2. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Better than I could do...But your tendons in your neck shouldn't be popping like that....Gotta relax more. Arch bach slightly more...think of your abs like a big fat beer gut...the more you push your pregnant like belly the more the notes will come out with ease. I'll be posting a vid or two soon so people can tell me how bad I am...

But considering I've been non instructed for over a decade I feel pretty good. Certainly your tendons in the neck should not be bulging that much. Also the tongue has to be looser. Because a tight...tight tongue is giving you more reistence in your voice box...thus bulging those neck tendons.

Drink two liters of water before practicing...that's why I practice in the bathroom :)

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The goal of an exercise like that is to do the slurs evenly and smoothly. If you can't do them slow then you can't do them faster.
    Try breaking it up into sections, use a metronome set as slow as it takes to slur the interval evenly and smooth. No herky-jerky bouncing. You want control.
    When you get control at a slow tempo then start clicking the metronome up. And... I mean start REAALLY SLOOW!

Speed will come after you acheive smoothness and evenness.

You do seem to be clenching... that tension is energy that doesn't get into the horn and makes it hard to be loose and flexible.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll second the tension part. It looked like you were going to explode. Matter of fact, what jiarby said! :D

coolerdave likes this.
  5. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth

Three things I see:

Breath – Take a bigger breath, full up your lungs and use support, your redness may be from lack of support.

Stand – Stand up, for learning better breath support, sit AFTER you master breathing.

Volume – Playing the exercise loud accomplishes little, anyone can play loud…Play it pp as author suggests for the most effect.

Your transition between the notes is very nice, and clean, keep up the good work ! While utilizing the above, work on speed while staying fluid with the exercise and hitting all the notes.

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Looks to me like you are using your jaw and not your lips/tongue/air to make the changes happen. Arban's page 44 starting as slow as you can mentally handle. Then move it up faster until you can't play it in time with the metronome. Then do something else. I would spend max 15 minutes per practice session on these. They are important, but they are also tiring and not terribly exciting. If you practice with a goal and focus, you can get a LOT done in that time.

coolerdave likes this.
  7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    OK a couple of things here. Do not ever PUSH with your belly unless you want a hernia. It should never feel like you are pushing the air out. When I play I can get as red as a beet and I don't have any support problems. I've watched Hersuth turn a bright purple and he doesn't have any playing problems. Just because a player turns red doesn't mean there is a problem. You have to listen to their sound. The same with the veins in the neck. Just because you see them doesn't mean there is a problem. There are more varibles that come into play here.

You actually sound good in the middle and lower registers. Good air support and you embouchure is responding very well. the notes are poping out nice and fluid and clean. The upper register sounds like you are straining a little. Not good. Where did you get this exercise?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. MiragePilot

MiragePilot New Friend

May 2, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    It sounds like one of the exercises out of Volume 2 of the Colins "Advanced Lip Flexibility" execise books.

Peter

9. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the comments! Yes the exercise is "Lip Trilling to High C" from the Colins Lip Flexibility. A lot to think about here, and I knew I had some tension problems but it's worse than I thought it was! I do like my sound from low G to the G on top of the staff, but after that it gets thin and bright and I don't like it. I have no problem posting videos of me playing. All it means is I'll get critique from players more experienced than me that will only make me get better!

I really need to get the tension out of my neck. I've improved on mouthpiece pressure a lot but there's still some there. Anyways, thanks for the advice!