"Crossover" players

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by TrentAustin, Nov 1, 2005.

1. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ed,
    While I sit here practicing Moto Perpetuo (it's a great relief to be shedding this after recording my recent disc project and pretty good for your jazz chops too!) I wanted to ask you who your favorite "crossover" players are... I actually hate the term "crossover" as I believe that you're playing the trumpet... be it jazz/classical/salsa/hip-hop/new-age.

Off the top of my head I think of a few examples:

1. Wynton (yep, he could and CAN play anything)
    2. Ralph Alessi (his jazz is superb and I've heard some of his Quintet stuff that is top notch).
    3. Charles Lazarus (he's doing some interesting things in terms of improvisatory music)
    4. Doc Severinsen
    5. Allen Vizzutti

My list is short as I'm very picky with people's creative jazz improvisation. I'm sure I'm leaving players out.... so feel free to add to this list.

I bet you know a LOT of players that are equally fit for creative jazz improvisation as well as hold their own on an orchestral/quintet/solo level.

Best,

Trent

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Lew Soloff, Mark Gould, Rich Kelley to name a few more.
    Wilmer

3. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    DiMartino, Marsalis, Severinsen, Vizzutti

(I saw Vince last night with the Dimartino/Osland Jazz Orchestra (DOJO). He ended the night with a double Bb that could kill!)

4. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    When Ray Crisara was still in New York City I always thought he was the ultimate crossover player. Here was a guy who played in the NBC Symphony with Toscanini and was in the Dick Cavitt Show band (The Bobby Rosengarden Band).

Larry Malin

5. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Trent,

The term "crossover" makes me uncomfortable as well. I've long thought that the next great (or next generation of) solo trumpeter(s) would break pre-conceived barriers down and create a career that includes elements of new music, free improv, world musics, and jazz.

Markus Stockhausen comes immediately to mind, as do Peter Evans and Brian McWhorter. Many of the names on my "players to watch" thread are moving in this direction as well.

We're going to have to start a "crystal ball - where we're heading" thread here at some point, but not quite yet. :cool:

Best,
    EC

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    At the ITG 2004 they had a Discussion Panel about this very issue, the participants were:
    Jens Lindemann
    Allen Vizzutti
    Rex Richardson
    Andrea Giufreddi

All amazing players in what has been termed the "crossover" genre.

7. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Ole Edvard Antonsen has been described as a "crossover". The recording he sold most was "Tour de Force" (Pop/Cross-over 1991/92).

More about him here:

http://www.oleedvardantonsen.com/

Ole

8. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Markus Stockhausen was here the same day Hakan was. He was giving us a masterclass while Hakan was practising downstairs and we could hear him through the floor (about 20 tonnes of concrete and steel and I could still hear his Hindemith!)

He seems like an amazing guy, stunning technique, a beautiful sound and he can play anything!

The "cross-over" thing really intrigues me, as someone who is interested in both jazz and classical playing. I'm studying classical full time, but I still play jazz. Different people have said different things to me about whether its a good idea (I talked to Richard Bissill, the principal horn in the LPO about it after I saw him jamming with Wynton & co!), but recently the concensus seems to be you need to be as flexible as possible these days, and at the end of the day its all music.

9. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Jack,

Forgive me if I 've asked before, but are you working with Jock?

EC

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    You haven't, but yes I am.

Jack