Cruise Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Howdy folxs,
    I'm about to be graduating with a Bach in Music Ed. I've been thinkin' about the summer months and have been doin' some research on a summer gig while I'm launchin' a career... so, Cruise gigs, pros and cons

And.... DISCUSS!

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    "I'm about to be graduating with a Bach in Music Ed."

Is that a Bflat Bach................. :shock:

3. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    I have worked extensively for Carnival Cruise Lines. If you have any specific questions you would like me to address, or if you would like to hear a recording of some music you may come across, please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Pros: Easy gig, easy money, traveling opportunities, meet some new people

Cons: The people you meet aren't alwasy the greatest, and you're stuck with them for a while, pretty repititive gig, money can easily be blown on booze

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    From the people that I have talked to that have done it, it can be a really neat gig, or it can also be a gig that really wasn't a great experience in the end.

I've talked to some that thought it was great - fairly easy (if repetitive) repertoire, but pretty good at building the chops. Then there were the "opportunities" to meet people, not to mention going to exotic locales and such.

Then there were guys who totally hated it. They thought they were overworked for what they got paid, were not allowed to talk to the folks on the ship, and in general were treated like second class citizens.

I think that a lot of it depends on which cruise line you wind up working for, but off of the top of my head, I can't remember which ones were referred to as good and which were referred to as bad.

For what it's worth, I have always wanted to do it if only for the experience, however, it's just not the kind of job married dude with kids takes. If my wife ever gets a wild hair, leaves me and takes the kids(doubtful after nearly 15 years) I'll probably give it a go.

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    a few cons:

I have know more than a few guys from school that went that route (all with different lines) and none of them were to happy with it in the end. While a few of them said they got better, a few of them said they got worse as well. None of them so far have been able to really use that as a stepping stone to something else.

If you are thinking about doing a teaching gig it will be hard to interview when you are called if you are out on a ship. It also seems to me that the only prior job experience that matters when you interview for a job in education is public school teaching or perhaps military. So I don’t think it will help your resume out.

7. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    That is very correct. I would recommend doing a stint in either the Air Force or Navy bands opposed to the cruise ships. The cruise ships are something you should do during the summers BEFORE you graduate, not upon getting yoru degree. For me, the ships were good. No rent for the summer to pay for, made some easy money to pay off a couple quarters of school. The gig isn't always great, and it GREATLY depends on the people you work with.
    The band doesn't get free drinks or anything, and you all but live in steerage. It can be a good thing. You have to be very very careful about hurting yourself. Based on your previous posts, I suppose you will be wanting to play lead. I was a lead player on those ships, and it can get bad. Be very careful about your chops. Take it easy when you need to and you will be fine. But yeah, since you ahve a degree and are going into teaching, the cruise ships really won't help you that much.

V/R
    Joshua

8. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Q: Do you know how to make a musician complain?
    A: Give him a gig.

9. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Bach = Bachelor's. Could've said "BS" or "BMA" but those are funny too...

Anyways, no, I don't HAVE to play lead. I was just wanting some expeirence doin' some different things and I've talked to some folxs who loved it and others who'va hated it. Just tryin' to get a feel for the general consensus on the boards. As for beefin' up the resume for a teaching job, I'm not too worried about that aspect. In regards to a stint in the military ensembles, last time I tried (after highschool) I was not accepted due to health and weight problems... Although the military has some great ensembles which would be amazingly fun to partake in.

10. jazzcompozer

jazzcompozer New Friend

Sep 23, 2005
    I have played quite a few contracts onboard various lines. Carnival is the best. The most important thing that I have heard here is the "be careful with your chops" thing. If you go out there, make sure that you maintain a very good warm up daily. I have seen and known players that have gone out there and ruined their chops. They would stay in the "crew bar" drinking .50 cent beers (yes, .50 cents!) and then sleep in. They would sleep in until 5 minutes prior to the gig or the rehearsal with no time to warm up. Guys would sit there, all hung over trying to make that E above high C. It was painful to watch.....and to listen.
    Other than that, easy gig. The money on the ships is too low however. The pay is actually quite insulting for the amount of playing involved. :x
    Good luck.