Cruise Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Nov 20, 2005.

1. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    In order to have an enjoyable experience with a cruise gig, you need to be able to read well, play in tune, if you are playing second, improvise well, if you play lead - PLAY LEAD! Remember, this is a GIG first, anything else second.

My experiences have been very good, but then again, this will vary from person to person. Each person will make it what they want it to be. The bands I've been on have been VERY good, and the music has never been soo easy that I was bored.

I wish I could take every one of you back and show you just what a great experience it has been for me.

I believe that any playing experience you can get will only make you better, not only as a player, but as a teacher too. Playing every night like this will put a lot of things into perspective for you. "Oh, that's why we practice (_____)!" Now you know how to relate things to students and other musicians.

To sum up what could potentially be a very long post, I wouldn't trade my experience for anything, and I'm going out for more. I can't wait!

Cheers TM!

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    ok... so is there some sort of website or certain person to call to let 'em know this ol' boy's interested in tryin' out his waterlegs?

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Don't forget to watch "The Legend Of 1900"

Just because............

-cw-

4. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    Shoot an e-mail to Chuck Farmer ([email protected]) and let him know you are interested in playing trumept for Carnival. If you REALLY play lead, go for it. There's about 320 charts in the dance book, plus you'll be playing "Vegas-style" shows 3 nights a week. It's a real blast!

In all seriousness, if you would like to hear what the bands sound like, I have some recordings of when I was playing lead on the Spirit. If you'd like to know what you're getting into, send me an e-mail or an instant message! I'd be glad to answer ANY questions you have about "ship life," the gig, the audition process, etc.

later on!

5. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    I got a gig with Carnival a few years back through a buddy of mine that's a band leader. He plays lead and has been doing it almost 8 years now. So obviously he digs it.

Fortunately for me I was only out for a month. Just a sub gig. Typically you sign for 4-6 months. By the end of week four I was ready to go. For me it was more of a lifestyle thing. I had a hard time staying out of the crew bar. I mean when beers were only $1 it was tough to say no! The booze definately took it's toll on my chops the next day. Most days were bearable playing days, except for the five hours we would do on Mondays. LOTS of reading. Nearly 300 tunes in my dance book and I was on a smaller ship. I was one of four guys that was brought on just for the month, including the drummer. Man..... he was bad. Not good at all. So it was not exactly a musically rewarding experience. Also not a lot to do with the ample free time. And we were more or less encouraged to stay away from the guests.

On the up side. I made some quick cash. I went to some beautiful places I'd probably not go to otherwise. The beers were really cheap. I spent a majority of my time hanging out with the showgirls.:D And I got a taste of real life playing while I was still in college.

All in all I don't regret it. If I was given the chance to go out and do it again I'd probably do it one more time. Just to see some more places though. I'd say go for it. I had a lot of fun and met some cool folks.

6. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Well,
    I don't drink, so that won't be a problem... I am a big guy though, might get some cabin fevor, lol. But I think I'm gonna try to give it a shot. We shall see.

Tim

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    hey those are cool gigs, did it for awhile.
    saved a lot of money too!
    but you have to be real cool off stage as wels in your tux!
    And run from old rich women, they can get cha fired real quick! :D [/code]

8. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Carnival is the best, the pay isn't BAD, but it isn't good. My pay sucks pretty bad when you consider how many show band gigs I do, but I have health, dental, free living, etc...

Bottom line... if you are looking for a good time, make a little bread, play a lot, the cruise ships are alright. It's a gig. I haven't really had the negative drinking experience as explained above... but guys do get drunk on the job sometimes. Go figure.

And as far as the military bands, I had to lose 100 pounds to get in the navy band, and it was the best thing I ever did.

V/R
    Joshua

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    yea bear go for it! :lol:

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Congrats... but for me... yeah, when Hell freezes over, lol. I'm not fat, but I'm big and I've never been below 300lbs in my life and they want me down to like 250 tops... plus some health things (neck/back/internal probs from a car wreck, etc) so I've pretty much laid to rest my desire to be able to play in the military. But man, what a dream that would be, lol. Take care.