Cruise Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bear, Nov 20, 2005.

1. missednote

missednote Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Naples, Italy
    Just to clarify.... We were NEVER drinking on the job. Now after the jobs it was a different story.

Oh yeah you mentioned cabin fever Bear? I'm not sure anyone here has posted yet how samll the room that you and your roommate will share. And with all the smokers smoking in the hallways on the lower decks my room always seemed to smell like an ashtray. I hated that part. But it's definately something worth doing. Like I said before, even though it wasn't my favorite thing I'd go back and do it again.

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    ok, another question... how long are tours and may one bring a wife, fiance, significant other, girlfriend, etc

3. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Carnival tours are usually 5-6+ months. As far as I understand, you can't bring a significant other "along for the ride," but there are plenty of jobs on the ship, and they do grant requests to be on the same ship.

4. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    For a first time contract, Carnival will only offer a 4 month contract. (It used to be longer, but shortened it due to "popular demand"). The more you work for the company, the more you can "write your own ticket" so to speak. I like 4 months. It's just long enough.

As stated before, there are a lot of jobs available. If you do have a significant other, it's possible to get them on the same ship. I've never done it, nor have I tried, but I know it's possible.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Matt Anklan

5. ChromeDome

ChromeDome New Friend

Jul 23, 2005
    Wetaskiwin, Alta, Canada
    Have to disagree slightly with some of the above posts in that I think Princess is a better company to work for than Carnival (although Carnival owns everyone these days, they still let the companies run themselves and maintain their standards and distinctive "flavour"). The pay is higher with Princess, more privleges, and cleaner ships. No matter which company you decide to work for, the cabins are small and the food is so-so (but you can eat ashore sometimes to offset that a bit). I work for Princess as a bandmaster and have no real complaints. And in another 5 years I'll have my house paid off and can get back to working the gigs I want to do on land(and I met my wife out here to boot, so how bad can the gig be? :) ). No disagreements about what the others have said about ship life or the gig, but like any experience it's what you choose to make of it. You have alot of free time and can get alot of work done (practicing, composing, arranging, whatever) and save money or you can party your face off and come home broke, or some combination of the above. It's really up to you to decide what you want to do with the time. Good luck, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,
    Doug Berner
    Bandmaster, Island Princess