Cruise ship and practice mute question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MVF, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    My wife and I are going on a cruise to celebrate our 20th anniversary, and I have become enough of a trumpet player (notice I didn't say musician?) to not be willing to go that long without playing. For me it seems like 1 day off = 2/3 days of sucking, but anything more than 2 days off = week(s) of sucking trying to get back to where I was.

So anyway, I'm taking my trumpet. I made one of those air freshener practice mutes, and I'm amazed at how quiet it is. However, even without replacing that piece they tell you to drill a hole in (thus leaving an even bigger hole) I notice a considerable increase in back pressure. This is on a 38B Connstellation and Bach 3C.

My questions are: Will using this for a week harm my playing? Is there anything I can do to minimize ill effects?

Also, does anyone know if there is anyplace they would let me use to practice without the mute? I was thinking if I just went to the back of the ship and played out to sea it probably wouldn't bother anybody, but I don't know how many people would be around.

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks, Mike

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I don't know but I am sure playing outside wouldn't carry very far .... but it will feel stuffy because you won't have any feedback. If I were going to play just to keep my chops I would play the Vizutti warm-ups with a harmon ( Jo ral) .. around 45 minutes.... then go hand out at the pool or learn to Tango in the ballroom.

3. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I'm with Coolerdave on this one.
    In addition, I don't imagine it would be bad for you to practice with the backpressure, but you'll have to make sure you don't tense up or try to force because of it. Otherwise, practice mutes like that would not be used very often.

Best of Luck

4. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    This is always good for us trumpet players - it forces us to play softly and can actually be beneficial for the chops! A good week or two of playing softly can help getting everything working in sync.

If it were me I'd just play softly without a mute, and/or MP buzz.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I think I'd be less concerned about a practice mute than how to get and hide a pair of life jackets. :shhh:

BTW, I have a Silent Brass mute and it's very quiet. I sometimes practice with it up until 12:30 a.m. and haven't had any problems from my apartment neighbors.

6. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Edit = Double post!

7. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I use a Silent Brass and it works good. The trick with the Silent Brass is that it has an amp, and you where head phones to hear yourself. Since you hear yourself at normal volume, you do not find yourself trying to force as hard as you would (To hear yourself) as you would with the air freshener mute. I would pick one up and try it.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    i am not sure where the backpressure discussion comes from. If we are not blowing the crap out of the horn, there is no real issue. the problem starts with a quiet mute when you try to feed the ears. Kind of defeats the purpose. I use the silent brass with the amp and headphones. Hasn't killed me yet.

9. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Climb into a life boat and let them tow you as far as the rope will reach. That's how a REAL player does it.

10. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Get a real practice mute.

If you can afford the cruise ...... I'm just saying. Anything will work, Harmon mute (my practice mute) or a Bremner Shhhhh mute. However, I like your idea of playing out to sea at the back of the boat. Just don't fall off. :shock:

Turtle