Cryogenic Freezing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by rdt1959, Nov 12, 2003.

Cryogenic Freezing?

1. I think it does something.

85.7%
  2. I think it is a scam.

10.3%
  3. I had this done to my horn and it works!

0.8%
  4. I had this done to my trumpet and it did nothing!

0.8%
  5. What are you talking about?

2.4%
  1. Gunner

Gunner New Friend

Apr 27, 2010
    Cinci, OH and Louisville
    I have not had my trumpet frozen however I did consider having my 1927 Conn 22b done as an experiment. I have know many trombone players that have had their trombones treated and they all say that the slide works better.
    The first time I saw this done was on a PBS special about 10 years ago they treated the horns of the Canadian Brass, they all sang the praises of the process.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    What's the old saying about ' a sucker being born every minute'? Actually it's incorrect. There are thousands of suckers born every minute.:-P

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    However, it is very difficult to play the trumpet while sucking. We are blowers, mostly.

I do wonder about the cryo effect on valves. In the case of the 8D french horn, there are 4 rotary valves. There is also much more curved tubing, solder connections, and it is longer as well. Many 8Ds have a lot of nickel-silver components, which, needless to say, is not brass.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  4. EricF

EricF New Friend

Nov 7, 2010
    Being a comeback player after a 20 year break, I'm not going to comment from a trumpet perspective. And I have no opinion about whether or not this works. But as a scientist - a study with 10 trumpets doesn't have enough sample size to really show anything. Meaning, the variability in the parameters from make to make and player to player are going to overwhelm any difference that may (or may not) occur from the process. If there was a difference, I don't think you could see it with a study of that size. Random variables overwhelm what you are trying to study. That is why these studies are expensive and why they are rarely done right - and why universities publish one finding one week, and a contradictory finding the next.