Crystal or glass trumpet bells

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TimW, Mar 15, 2007.

1. TimW

TimW New Friend

Feb 18, 2007
    Cresson, TX
    I remember seeing something awhile back about someone who makes crystal or glass bells for trumpets. I've not ever been able to find it again. They were specially made for trumpets with removable bells, or they could modify your horn for you to make yours removable. Anybody out there know anything about this? Thanx!

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Tim,

I believe they were made by Cashel (Cashell?)

Haven't heard anything about them in years.

-cw-

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yep... they were sold through D.T. Parker Winds whose website has faded into cyberspace. You could have them convert an existing horn by installing a crystal bell OR you could have them build you a horn that had crystal tubing on the slides as well: the only thing "metalic" was the valve block and receiver bits.

I think there's a photo of one somewhere on the web in one of those "cyber museums" but dang if I can find it right now.

I once spoke to a guy who claimed to have tried one; he described the sound as "brittle"! ROFL

4. Zaraskabat

Zaraskabat Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2007
    ....... and to think I get mad when I whack the music stand with a brass bell ;-)
    Ken

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Would YOU want the gunk in your horn visible to the whole world?
    I can picture it now.... about 10 minutes into a gig someone asking me how the burger tasted..............................
    For research purposes maybe...............

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm just picturing one of these high note screamers reducing the horn to powdered sugar as it explodes somewhere between Double C and Tripple C. :shock:

7. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I remember those ads...Rick Baptist was endorsing them at some point! :-o :dontknow:

8. Ross

Ross New Friend

Mar 7, 2007
    Okinawa
    F%^%#ING SWEET!!!! I had dreams of glass trumpets like 10 years ago. To bad I never actually got my glassblowing business together....

9. Fredrick

Fredrick New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    What would you want a crystal trumpet? It sounds like it would look really cool, but what does it do to the sound? I was just curious because I know that different metals do different stuff to the sound of the instrument, but what does crystal do?

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uh, clear maybe?