CSO and Fritz Reiner

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by tpter1, Jan 22, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I just downloaded Don Juan and Don Quixote via iTunes. It's on the RCA Living Stereo label, and Fritz Reiner and Strauss himself are conducting.

My question is this: who is/might be in the trumpet section?

2. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I'm fairly confident that there are no "Living Stereo" releases on which Strauss conducted. In fact, the only appearances Strauss made conducting the CSO were in 1904, I think.

I have a feeling Itunes' sloppy manner of listing recording data has left you confused. They probably put Strauss' name under "Artist", right? :think:

Anyway, those recordings date from Dec. 1954 (Don J) and April 1959 (Don Q). According to an ITG article that listed those historical sections it would be:

Don Juan - Herseth, Rudolph Nashan, William Babcock
    Don Quixote - Herseth, Nashan, Frank Kadarabek

Vincent Chicowicz was 4th/Utility during these dates, and moved up to 2nd in 1960. I guess it could be possible he's playing second on Don Q, but I don't know for sure.

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Thanks, Robert!

4. Johntpt

Johntpt Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Toluca, Mexico
    That Reiner Quixote is one of the great classic CSO recordings, along with the Stravinsky Song of the Nightengale and Hovhaness Mysterious Mountain. Those should be on everyone's shelf.

JU

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN

Don't Forget Scherazade, that last movement fasten your seatbelts, Reiner takes off.

6. JJ

JJ Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2005
    For those who are interested, there are quite a few recordings of Strauss himself conducting Don Juan, including versions with the VPO, the Orchester der deutschen Staatsoper Berlin, the Staatskapelle Berlin, and the Orchester des Reichssenders Muenchen. There's also at least one version of his conducting Don Quixote (with the Berlin State Opera Orchestra)

JJ

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    How's the sound quality of the recording? Sounds like something I might have to get.