Cup Mute advice, need to double check

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Feb 8, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    So im in need of a cup mute due to a solo and all in symphonic band, and I talked to my private lessons teacher, he said not to go for metal, because if the music calls for a cup it wants a "haunting" sound. He said go with plastic or something othter than metal, because I despise the cardboard mutes. so he told me about the Denis Wick Adjustable cup mute. How its plastic on the inside and metal on the outside, he was saying that it should give me that tone that I need. Anyone had experience with this before I spend 50 bucks on a mute? Thanks

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    The Denis Wick cup mute is metal, but it's not a bright cup mute.

That said, your first cup mute should be a Humes and Berg -- there's a reason everybody has them. Once you have the standard (for less than twenty bucks), then you can throw money around and express your individuality.

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If it calls for a cup in the music, it is most likely that the composer was thinking of the sound of a good old Humes & Berg H&B Stonelined red & white cup mute.

That's what I would use.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    You don't currently have a cup mute yet you despise the one that's the most popular/widely used? Any particular reason?

Like the others I have always used the Humes & Berg H&B Stonelined red & white cup mute.

Mine was crushed recently so I needed a replacement. I found a used one at a music store for $10. Sounds great.

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    And a new one cost's $16..:D Too good to be true, nope, not this time!!!

6. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    I use the Stone Line "Mica Mute". It's the Humes and Berg Stone Line cup mute with felt on the inside of the cup. It's been my favorite for years. And it's popular, I've seen many trumpet players with it.
    Bob

7. etrumpetlessons

etrumpetlessons New Friend

Nov 16, 2009
    Colorado
    I've had directors require that the whole section have the same mute for uniform sound. The H&B is inexpensive & easy to find, so that one generally got the tap. For section playing, you shouldn't find any complaints with the reliable red & white!

8. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    I love using the Stoneline for anything jazz oriented; it's just the absolute right sound for it. For everything else I wish i had the Denis Wick adjustable cup because it's pretty flexible with contemporary music. If I had to chose one, it'd be the Stoneline though.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Humes & Berg H&B Stonelined red & white cup mute.

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I mean, nothing wrong with a good ol' red an' white, but Ive just never had a real liking for them, thats why I was asking about the Denis Wick Adjustable Cup Mute, recommended by my lessons teacher.