Cup Mute advice, need to double check

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You can go with the new hotness cool looking Wick, or you can go with the old and busted H&B which is the standard and the sound that people want to hear.

It isn't a matter of what you haven't had a liking for.

If you play in MY section you are going to use an H&B like the rest of us.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Sounds like you're not getting the answer that you were looking for. To be more direct, the Wick is a nice, fancy mute, but the better choice is the "regular" Humes and Berg. It is the "standard" cup mute for a reason.

Your teacher probably recommended the Wick because of your unreasonable dislike for Humes and Berg.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Old "red & white" will git-r-done and save you some bucks. How often are you going to use a cup mute? In my experience, I would say not too often. I wouldn't pay $50 for a mute to use on a solo then have it take up space in my case for who knows how long. The reason it's popular is price and it's "the" sound for cup mutes.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Everyone I know uses a H&B cup mute.

5. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    the Humes and Berg mutes are not made of cardboard either. They are very durable and are the standard sound people associate with a cup mute. I was given mine by my trumpet teacher back in the early '80s. It was one of his old ones that he probably bought in the '50s. I've had to put some new corks on it, but it has lasted forever.

If you buy a $60 cup mute it had better sound like the Humes and Berg one, and if that's the case why not just buy the $16 dollar one in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have several cups in my mute stash, including an old Humes and Burg and a Wick. The wick is definately my favorite, but sometimes the Humes and Berg is just the best choice. As a High School player, you just can't go wrong with the Humes and Berg - it's what the rest of your section is probably going to have, and at your level there's no need to spend a lot on mutes. If at some later point in your life you're playing a lot of gigs and have money to burn, try the fancy stuff. I did a lot of gigging in my high school days, and did it all with a set of Humes and berg mutes - they got the job done!
    If you do decide to go for some of the more expensive mutes, I'd keep an eye out on Ebay - I got my Wick, a Jo Ral Bubble, a pixie, and some assorted straight mutes on ebay - the whole lot for $42 - probably from some H.S. kid who didn't play his expensive mutes anymore.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    That's a great point (and a great deal for you!!!). eBay can be a great place for mutes and accessories. You don't have to worry as much buying sight-unseen with mutes.

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    You're going to need the Humes & Berg some day no matter what other more expensive mute you buy. Your mute list should include: H & B cup, straight mute (any brand), Harmon, plunger, various hats.

9. ccb_22

ccb_22 Pianissimo User

Jan 12, 2010
    Wilmington
    Not sure if anyone has mentioned this or not, but I really like H&B red and white cardboard cup mutes.

Seriously though, they are honestly the best sounding cup mutes out there.

10. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Geez, I really tried to stay outta this one.....BUT.......go with the standard red & white mute so WHEN you drop it or kick it off the riser at the most inopportune time it will sound like everybody else's ROFL