Cup Mute advice, need to double check

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    Bottom line, you should go with the H&B whether or not you personally like it; I think it'll grow on you. It is the most versatile cup mute out on the market. If it's good enough for the Lawrence Welk band, it's good enough for you.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    LOL, this happened so much in band class that I drew a smiley face on mine. Every-time I used it, the director saw a cute little smile coming his way (my horn is a Getzen Eterna tilted bell). My director loved me ;) !

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Guys!

In the brass band world, I see mostly Denis Wick cup mutes. I use mine in all groups, band and orchestra. The fact that they are adjustable is a big plus for altering the sound obtained, as well as to make it fit a wide variety of horns (from Eb soprano cornet through Bb cornet and piston trumpets all the way down to big rotary Bb trumpets.) You can stuff cotton or foam rubber into the cup as well to alter the sound, somthing we often did back in my time with the Illinois Brass Band for a particular sound in a Championship test piece. As soprano cornet in the Chicago Brass Band, I didn't have to worry about the changing tone colors, but still used the Wick in my Schilke soprano cornet.

I've got a few old H&B red&white cardboard mutes, but far prefer the Wick.

Chac'un au son gout!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    H&B Cup Mute for section work, Mica mute as solo option. Cannot go wrong.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Mon Dieu ! Mais oui !