Current Fee for Weddings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Oct 27, 2014.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Your original post stated "for a 2-4 piece wedding gig." So I was answering with the estimate of a 4 piece group. While you may be wanting to pay for free, the other three paying for free is just unreasonable. I still think $1,000 is a fair fee for a gig away for four that requires travel and lodgning. Does anyone else think my estimate was insulting enough to receive an insanity plea?

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    You aren't going to play at your funeral, are you. ROFLSorry, thats a little morbid. :oops:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    2-4 piece. Pieces of music for the ceremony. Maybe I wasn't clear due to the fact that the band I'm in is already playing the reception, but we're a lot bigger than 2-4 pieces. We're 8 pieces on stage - Guitars, bass, saxophones, trumpet, drums and a full, pro-level PA. That's coming out of the band leader's pocket as a gift to his friend, the groom. That was already detailed earlier in the thread.

No, what I'm talking about is solo liturgical trumpet for the wedding ceremony itself - just me, myself and I, plus the organist - playing 2-4 pieces of wedding repertoire. For that, $1000 is insane.

(as a side note, the wedding band I play with doesn't step out the door for less than $3500, and that only covers overhead for a local job - jobs at more distance or with other logistical issues charge considerably more.)

Clearly, you didn't read the posts very well. :-P ROFL (it's also an indication of our wonderful English language and how things can have multiple meanings: "Oh dear! Look at the deer, dear! I think I need to go home and pet my pets." When I said "piece" I meant piece of music, (I may not have been clear) but you thought I meant "band member" as in a 4-piece band, or 5-piece drum kit, etc)

Edit: on second thought:
    That's pretty clear what I was talking about. ;-)

4. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    I read your post just like Gary - that 3-4 piece meant there were 3-4 guys playing. You should have said something like "I'm only playing 3 or 4 pieces."

Regardless - you said that you play 30-40 weddings a year. Hard to believe you're looking on this board for fee guidance. You should have that nailed down.

I only play once or twice (if I'm lucky) a year. Because playing isn't my main source of income, I have a travel limit of about 20 miles and charge between $125-$150, depending on the time commitment, number of pieces they want me to play, rehearsal, etc.

If this was for a friend who lived, say, 250 miles away, I would definitely ask if he was:

1. Feeding me
    2. Paying for my hotel
    3. Paying for travel
    4. Inviting me to the reception

If he did all that, and he really WAS a friend, I might do the gig gratis.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Again, I explained in my original post that the ceremony for this wedding is being done in addition to the band gig for this wedding, and it's a totally separate thing, and the post is not confusing if you take the time to read the whole thing.

What a condescending statement for someone who clearly doesn't understand the situation.

Regarding the 30-40 wedding dates a year I play, I don't do the ceremonies - only the reception/dance portion, and I know exactly what I get paid. My cut of the band fee is $250 minimum, subject to go up if there is additional travel, an exceptional number of special dance "must plays," timelines that run beyond the normal scope of an 8ish hour gig commitment, (time spent getting to the gig, the gig itself and time spent getting home) and that sort of thing. Yeah - when it comes to the band side of things, I've got that pretty much locked, which is beside the point that I don't make the call on what the band or the band members get paid - I'm not the band leader.

Regarding the ceremony music, I do very little of that. It's just not what I do in the normal scope of my gigging, and this will be the 2nd of which I have played in quite some time. The last wedding ceremony I played prior to this was a one-off thing I did back June of 2012, and due to lightness of the commitment - just 2 pieces that I played (better?) I think I only charged them $125. The processional was so short that we got through a whole 16 measures of the Clarke Trumpet Voluntary before we cut it, and we only played once the Mouret Rondeau for the recessional - we did not take the repeat.

Before that wedding, it has literally been years since I played a wedding ceremony, but I have played 30-40 wedding dances a year since 2001. They are completely different kinds of gigs.

For me it's not a matter of whether or not I'm lucky - it's a choice. If I wanted to do more weddings, I'd purposefully try to get into that scene, and I would wind up doing a lot more weddings ceremonies. I'd rather play rock and roll horn lines.

6. dangeorges

Oct 20, 2010
    You're right. I am condescending.
    Sorry about that.

I didn't realize that wedding ceremony music was different than wedding dances. Again, I crave ignorance and bow to you, oh mighty lord.

I know you're not lucky. I envy you and your horn prowess.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Are you being serious or sarcastic about not knowing the difference between playing a wedding dance with a band and a wedding ceremony as a solo player?

This forum is getting bad about someone asking an honest, legit question, and then having some yayhoo come on with some kind of a snarky answer. Is that really the way we want to be? I sniped back at you due to the way you responded.

The funny thing (to me anyway) about Gary's response was that the discussion about the ceremony was already under way when he jumped in with his post thinking it was about trio or quartet gig, so apparently not everyone was confused.

As for my playing, I'm not great, but I'm solid enough, which on top of the fact that I'm reliable and easy to work with would probably get me a decent amount of follow-on work.

8. dangeorges

Oct 20, 2010
    trickg:
    My initial response wasn't snarky (wasn't meant to be). But when you started in on me, I couldn't stop myself from responding in kind. I'm usually above that sort of stuff. But your defensive response to me was mean-spirited and unwarranted. I believe Gary was confused as well, which is why I suggested rewording of your initial question (maybe for future reference?).

We are all here to swap stories, ask questions, and have a good time. But when it comes to "multi-quoting" someone and ripping their response apart, I lost it.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd say that this:

is pretty snarky, don't you think? Especially since what we're talking about is apples and oranges. You know enough about me to know I do 30-40 weddings a year, so I surmised that you knew that it was playing in a band - something I'm pretty open about here.

I'm usually pretty good at conveying an idea - something that I think most who have read my posts over the last 11 years would probably agree with. But thanks anyway for pointing out the error of my ways 15 posts into the thread when we've already reestablished what the thread was about.

10. dangeorges

Oct 20, 2010
    trickg:
    No. I didn't mean it as snarky. I thought I said that.
    Not sure what you mean by apples and oranges.
    I don't keep tabs on everyone on this board. So I don't know you (sorry about that).
    I don't follow your posts, nor did I know you play in a band, and I didn't know you play 30-40 weddings a year until today.
    I didn't point out "the errors in your ways." I merely suggested that your initial wording was confusing (it confused more than just me).

Now put this thing to rest.
    Please.