Current Fee for Weddings

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Oct 27, 2014.

1. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Wedding ceremonies are great experience. Check out the facility, be sure there is a coordinator, if it is a Mass, confirm if they want the mass parts played etc etc. Always attend the rehearsal. Even with prep, you may be fighting for space with the photographers or other soloists. The experience i referred to was experience in being flexible and capable of working around the unexpected.

Years ago i did it for $75 to $100. Now base fee is $150-$175. I may bump it again -- My daughter is getting married next June and as i review the costs i have concluded the industry (wedding services) is is pretty impressed with itself.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Well since you asked so nicely, consider it tucked in. :roll:

This wedding is going to be interesting. After finally getting in touch with the music director, it came to my attention that apparently I'm supposed to produce all of the music plus the organ scores, and this lady doesn't seem to know the difference between the trumpet tune and voluntary, never mind knowing who actually composed them.

Hopefully she can at least play, although I'm not getting a great feeling about that.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Trumpet Voluntary is when you play for free. Trumpet Tune is when others like what you play. I think the former had something to do with Herbert Clarke. ;-)

bumblebee likes this.
  4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Exactly!

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I figured I'd post an update for this. The music director decided to go ahead and obtain the necessary music, and given that I have only a Bb trumpet in my possession at the moment, and considering some of the music to be played, I requested that the music be keyed in Concert Bb - for me, the ornamentation lays better (trills between E/F# and G#/A can be pretty rough) and I figured that since we're getting music from scratch, why not be picky about the key, right?

The music shows up and most of it is in concert C. Wonderful. In order to try and do this right, I'm going to see if I can't get a friend to loan out a C trumpet for this gig so that I can play this music correctly. I suppose I should be happy - a C trumpet is going to be much more brilliant in sound and more suited to the music we're playing, but I can't help but be irritated that she either didn't understand or completely ignored my request that we look for music in concert Bb. Beggars can't be choosers, and I suppose that if I wanted to be sure it was done right....

She also seems to think that rehearsing this music at 1:00 with the ceremony starting at 2:00 is ok. Apparently the church does confession between noon and 1:00. Seriously? That's going to be nice trying to do a music run-through as the guests are arriving. SMH.

6. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    :roll::dontknow::stars::cry:

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Good luck! This last Sunday I played at the church and one of the hymns was in E (four sharps) which I had to transpose on the fly into F# (six sharps). At least I had a day's warning, but not enough free time to write it out in the new key.

--bumblebee

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Fortunately none of this music is hard enough that hand-transposing would prove to be much of a challenge if it becomes necessary. The lineup is as follows:

1. The Celebrated Canon in D (or rather, Bb, as it were - this is for the bridesmaids)
    2. Prince of Denmark's March/Trumpet Voluntary
    3. Mendelssohn Wedding March (I'm assuming this is for the bride)
    4. Hornpipe from the Water Music

I'm only doing about 40 measures of all of these (at least those were the notes provided by the music director) with the exception of the Canon - that gets played until the bridesmaids are down the aisle and it's time for the bride. All in all, the key of the music aside, it's a piece of cake of a gig...theoretically. Things don't always go according to plan. :D

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Mendelssohns wedding music from a Midsummer Nights Dream......... I guess most have not read the story. Two guys love the same girl, and it takes chemicals to fix the problem. Bad karma........

Check out Shakespeares original text before asking for this music!

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The things I miss when I am absent from the site from time to time.
    Concerning the performance ... I would bet dollars to donuts that Patrict is probably pretty far over the bar of what they have experienced in a live trumpet performance. You are going to kill it Patrict!!!!