Current Info On Insurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TonyM, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. TonyM

    TonyM New Friend

    Jan 23, 2008
    Searching the forum, I find messages from 2003-2004 on the subject of insurance.

    Does anyone know of a way to insure a trumpet against loss (theft) while away from home. I'm NOT a professional, and I want to insure
    the trumpet I've lent my grandson (a 1947 Olds Super) while he's
    learning. I'm afraid that it might get stolen while he's at an "event"
    sometime in the future. I had no idea of its value until my daugher saw one on a web site for $650. Mine is not in perfect shape, but I suspect its still worth at least half of that My present home insurance will pay 10% of its value if stolen away from home.

    I suppose I could get a special rider, but does anyone know of any
    other way?
  2. MFfan

    MFfan Fortissimo User

    Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I would check with your homeowners agent and investigate a personal articles floater for the Olds. I used to be an adjuster. I have several low value horns insured for actual cash value very cheaply. Non professional use only, but they are covered off premises, like if someone sits on it in band class, or the kid drops it, etc. Pretty much all risk, no deductable. You may have to get an appraisal or proof of value plus the serial number. If you have a claim they weigh the cost of repair vs the ACV at the time. I can't find my copy of the actual policy now, or I could give you specifics. I don't think there are exclusions for someone else using the instrument, but not sure. Same type of policy that you would list excess jewelry, furs, fine arts, etc. that you want covered in excess of the basic form that you have. My agent takes my word (old friend) on the values and you can change the provisions if necessary.
  3. MFfan

    MFfan Fortissimo User

    Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
  4. dizzyizzy

    dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

    Jan 27, 2006
    I've had one or two of my daughter's violins & viola on a "rider" to my homeowners policy for years. They generally don't cover "professional" use, but stuff like college/school use is usually allowed. (CHECK with your primary insurer).

    On the other hand, I have recently stopped the above and gone with CLARION ASSOCIATES, (Hauppauge, NY), (who were recommended by other site members), for insuring ALL of my instruments and my daughter's. That is a "stand-alone" policy strictly for musical instruments, covering just about "any" circumstances of loss. Pretty cheap too.
  5. flugelgirl

    flugelgirl Forte User

    Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    My husband and I (he's a guitarist) have a seperate policy with State Farm to insure our gear for professional use, and it costs us $17 per mo. for about $30k in coverage, with no deductuble. Now we don't worry about aany of it!
  6. Richard Oliver

    Richard Oliver Forte User

    Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    The guys at GEICO gave me to Travelers -- they have a deal with them or something. I'm no pro either. Got 10K worth or 1st dollar protection -- replacement cost -- even in case of accident. Forgot premium other than it's very inexpensive and worth it.
  7. Happy Canuck

    Happy Canuck Piano User

    Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    When I called my agent (State Farm) their statsment is that since I'm not earning money playing, the horns would be covered under my household policy. I do have full pictures of the horns with a focus on the engraving/name and the serial number. And, I've monitored eBay with a number of similiar instrument auctions documented.

    A friend forgot his horns (Strad Bb and C) after an outdoor concert, didn't have serials but his agent give him full replacement anyway!
  8. bilboinsa

    bilboinsa Piano User

    Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Mind you, in many states, the HO policy will only cover up to a standard amount--i.e., $500--unless the horn is scheduled separately. Even then, the horn is insured only if the loss occurs AT HOME. Better to get a separate rider for use outside the home if that's where you use it.
  9. TonyM

    TonyM New Friend

    Jan 23, 2008
    Thanks to one and all! I didn't want to use my home insurance
    for personal reasons, but now I have two good alternatives. Thanks

Share This Page