Curry TF vs. Shallower Curry

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by gphorn, Jun 2, 2005.

1. gphorn

gphorn New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Hi! I would like to know if anyone using a Curry TF mouthpiece has experienced any problems in going back to playing a more traditional depth mouthpiece after some time playing the TF. I play a Curry 1 1/4 TF and when I go back to a regular Curry 1 1/4 C my tone becomes airy, I experience a double buzz toward the bottom of the staff, and tend to bottom out at times. I know bottoming out should not be a problem with a 1 1/4 C. So, am I making a drastic change in my embouchure by playing the TF that screws up my more legit embouchure?[/img]

2. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    I played on only the TF for awhile, and experienced a few similar symptoms. It took about two days of practice sessions to get used to the 3C again. I found I progressed a lot quicker when I made suer to stop playing as soon as it started to become taxing. My theory was that playing on such an unconventional cup made playing on a bowl-shape incredibly ackward, thus requiring much more diligent and careful practice to play on one effectively. This is just my guess though...I'm sure someone will have a much better explanation. Regardless, it went away in my case, so I wouldn't worry much if I were you unless it persists or causes a fever. Then, flush with water and seek medical attention immediately.