Curry XXCAPPS

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by latinjazzcat, Sep 6, 2004.

1. latinjazzcat

latinjazzcat Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    West Virginia
    Anyone have experience with the Curry XXCAPPS? I've been thinking about trying them out. I really dig the feel of those style of top caps on my fingers, which is what initially attracted me to it, but I think I would also like the weight on my horn. So, any input would be appreciated, and also any suggestions of a place to purchase them (preferably with a trial period) or alternatives. Thanks.

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Y'know, I have been looking at those seriously for "pimping" my Strad. I think the Curry XXs, a Blackburn 20, and a new tune slide would do some real good for my ole' girl.

Van

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Nah .... think plaid! :cool:

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    lmao, a plaid Strad....

My Lord, it RHYMES!!!

Van

5. Shermy

Shermy Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    I've got them in raw brass on my old silver Bach 37*.

First of all let me say that this is my HUMBLE opinion!!

The combination is kind of interesting - a lightweight horn with these VERY heavy caps and buttons. I also got the Curry silver plated brass action rods.

The main reason I wanted the XXCAPPS was to give me many possible combinations to get the best balance of slotting and flexibility without messing too much with my tone.

The results are pretty noticable IMHO.

I first tried everything on including the "washers" and "O" rings and brass action rods.

VERY DARK. My Big Band director noticed it right off the bat. He said he liked the tone. He went out and bought some!! Flexibility is not bad (lip slurs/trills/shakes in upper register actually feel cleaner and easier - wasn't expecting this). Slotting is pretty good (I'm not much of an expert on this topic though). I've recorded myself with each combination. For combo jazz work, this is THE set up (with my Curry 2BC mpc)! Dark and Velvety with Brilliance when I need it!

I've also tried bottom caps and brass action rods with everything else stock parts. Still a bit dark, with slotting, I can't tell much of a difference, flexibility is, again surprisingly better than all stock parts, but less than with everything XXCAPPS.

I then tried just action rods and everything else stock parts. Not much noticable to me from everything stock parts.

I then tried stock caps, brass action rods and XXCAPPS finger buttons. This is about the best tone/flexibility ratio I think like and will probably stick with for Big Band jazz. It doesn't change my tone too much and helps with slotting in the upper register and, again surprisingly helps my flexibility.

Bottom line, they're fun to play around with. Surprisingly to me, I can tell a big difference between each set-up as far as flexibility and tone color are concerned (tone color is especially noticable in my recordings of myself). I actually like the dark tone when all of the XXCAPPS are on. I didn't think I would.

I wouldn't suggest them to a beginner or someone studying seriously in college because it might mess up your chops from messing around too much with equipment and not practicing the music - a mistake I made with mouthpieces in college. Granted these wouldn't mess with your chops too much, I don't think, but still, it takes away from time you should be focusing on music.

Hope this helps, and please remember this is just my VERY HUMBLE opinion.

I ordered mine through WWBW. At the time they didn't have a return policy for them. Still happy with them.

Curry products are Great!!

I've also got the following Curry mouthpieces:

2F Flugel mpc
    2C (I originally bought this to replace my old Bach 2C - very close match, I just like the 2BC so much more!)
    2B (a bit too dark for my liking)
    2BC (just right - Velvety with Sizzle in reserves!)
    2TF (Pure butter for those ballads where you don't quite want to pull out the flugelhorn)
    2* (SIZZLES!)

6. Tromba1030

Tromba1030 Pianissimo User

Feb 5, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I LOVE THEM!

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Make sure you really like the 20 pipe before you buy it. I loved it at first when I had 3 pipes to try. Then it seemed to be a little too big. Great for some things, but not for me for everything. It would be great for a orchestra only c , but thats just me. I went with the 19-350 btw.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was one of Mark's first customers back in the Sound Sleeve days, (back when we were using the lead wrappings from vintage wine to make our valve caps heavier) and told him where those Mt. Vernon mouthpiece toolings went to. Mark is remarkable in that his offerings deliver as promsed: if he says "more notch" you get "more notch"; and it is up to us to decide if that is what we need and want. Plus, he is a nice guy. Try his products, you cannot go wrong if you have enough students!

9. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    I tried out the Curry XXCaps a while back and gave a review of them in this thread on my website

http://www.brass-forum.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1101477942

You'll have to scroll down through a few posts to get to my findings, but on the whole I wasn't impressed and found that they sucked the life and sound right out of my playing.