Custom built horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    If you could use any component from any maufacture and assuming they would all fit eg Schilke valve body, King Silvertone bell, trombone style water keys, Bach lead pipe etc.

What would you build?

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Okay, I'll play along. I'd go with your Schilke valve block (from an S42, .450). The bell of an 8310Z, a Bach 43 leadpipe with a Bach (.462) tuning slide. Amado water keys, first slide thumb ring from a Conn Vintage One, Bach 3rd slide stop rod and nuts, in lacquer or raw brass.Harrelson bottom valve caps. How's that? If you manufacture this, I'm in on part of the deal!

Pete

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hmmm .... the hard ones first eh?

I think I'd build a Chinese Pocket Trumpet, probably in yellow lacquer.
    ROFL

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

I'd build a clone of my '47 Olds Special.
    Or I'd take a Bach 239 C trumpet, reverse leadpipe, (25R) and remove the bracing in between the leadpipe and bell. I'd then have lightweight valve stems and caps installed. That would be an interesting horn.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There have been some experiments with Schilke valves and other bells and leadpipes by Spada in Switzerland. At the end of the day, the Schilke parts worked better!

I know that many manufacturers today use subassemblies bought elsewhere with good results. In Germany, we have Bauerfeind, Meinelschmidt and Zirnbaur valves, at least one bell manufacturer (Sandner) and a lot of assemblers. The logic is that those specialty companies can invest in the tooling to do each job "better". I am not sure if that offers the synergy to make a Frankenhorn as good as it possibly can be. Perhaps "good enough" though.........

My "dream" horn has Selmer radial 2 degrees valves, a removable, tunable Monette Prana3 bell, a custom leadpipe to make it work and a brushed gold finish.

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I have built, on an amateur basis, a few 'frankenhorns'. Some of these turned out to be exceptional and some, not so great.

If I could have exactly what I want, I know who has a model to work from. Roy Lawler has a York Airflow trumpet that I would have him clone with whatever superlative valve engine he feels is the best on the market. I just wish that I was younger, in better physical condition and wealthy enough to buy 'any' new horn of quality.

OLDLOU>>

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Old Lou,

Does Lawler use Getzen valves?

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I know that he used to. If he still does, I am not aware of it. The best source for this info is, of course, Roy Lawler.

OLDLOU>>

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes, I swapped across on to the Lawler website last night thinking, 'I'm sure Roy Lawler's site mentioned Getzen Valves' but I couldn't find any current mention - guess I'll take your advice and bang off an email. Ta.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land