Custom button inlays

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mchs3d, Jun 12, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I have a piece of turquoise that I want to turn into trumpet buttons. Does anyone know where I can find Bach buttons without the inlays?

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I have been thinking about doing the same thing on an old trumpet ,I'm wondering if the inserts are glued in with contact cement ?

If they are a little heat should get them free ? but like you I'd like another set just in case it doesn't work.

Sounds like yours would be very cool?

Anyone know how the inserts are glued ?

Thanks
    Dean_0

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Dean,

The old trumpets I have replaced inserts in are not glued but have the edge rolled in to grip the insert. A Mother of pearl insert I usually break up with a small chisel, a plastic one I drill a hole and prise out with a small screwdriver. If the buttons are damaged I will take a fine cut across the face and up the side in the lathe to make them uniform.

I use black Bakelite sheet for my replacements as I have several square feet of it. A small drop of Super Glue holds them in well.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    To remove most pearls I use a heat gun and heat from the bottom of the button. They usually come out with little issue. Sometimes if I have trouble, I will fire them with my torch and then chip it out.

To glue in my inlays I use jeweler's epoxy.

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Custom buttons are a cool way to personalise your instrument. I have a set on my Eterna and my Xeno from Mouthpiece Express. They have LOTS of stuff to dress up your trumpet and show that you have personality. With a little persistance you should be able to get them to send you a set of blank buttons to fit your model of horn, I think. Otherwise maybe you could get some used buttons to get replated and install new inserts into. Have fun. Best wishes.

6. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Check out Mouthpiece Express. I know the OP was about customizing buttons yourself, that's fine, however just to throw in that these folks have just about everything one need and perhaps some ideas not yet thought of. Flip side .... there is no sin in a well done DIY job.

One more notion, to get just a a little bit Zen... the true enjoyment in any project is the process. The end is just that, an ending.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I finally figured out how to make them myself. It's actually quite easy. Do you think there is a market for these things? I can't support my hobby if I only make them for myself.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I do custom gemstone inlays, but I haven't bothered to really market them.
    I think most people would just go to pickett brass and get plastic inlays for 1/3 the price of getting someone to custom cut a nice piece of stone.

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    That's too bad, because they really look nice. I guess I'll have some sets for my self depending on my "mood."

10. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Stone is not your only option!

[​IMG]