Custom Eclipse flugel?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JackD, Jul 19, 2004.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I just noticed this on the website - what's the story behind it Leigh?

I have to say it looks nice!

2. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Jack

That particular Flugel belongs to Henry Lowther, in my opinion one of the most wonderful flugel players around.

Henry Chose the yellow bell which has a warm fluffy flugel sound yet can cut through very easily aswell.
    Henry wanted something a little different from the crowd as long as it was still in silverplate!!! (Henry does NOT like gold plated horns)

He did explain it to me, but i have forgotten the whole story, but its something to do with his great love of astrology and the fact that silver happens to be his colour astrologically.

I am sure he will correct me if thats not quite correct.

What we have done is to polish the entire instrument to a fine finish, then we cut out the shapes we desire from stickers and apply them to the surface of the horn where we want them.
    Then its a case of scratching by hand around the stickers, once that is complete the stickers are gently removed to leave the stars and moons in polished effect.

Thats it really!!

Regards

Leigh

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Clever! It looks really nice - I see you managed to convince him to get a 3rd valve trigger (you were saying he didn't want one on his).

Is scratch silver going to become a standard part of the Eclipse line?

Cheers.

Jack.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That IS a really nice finish! It's amazing how quickly the satin and/or scratch finish has taken off in the last two years or so... seems like almost everyone is coming out with models featuring it. I can't wait to see what the "newest" finish will be.

5. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hi Jack

Yes this finish has been available for some time to be honest, but its my fault that it has not been put up on the Eclipse Website.

The Bb's look lovely in that finish too! i have one in the workshop at the moment, looks great.

Regards

Leigh