Custom Finish Jobs

Discussion in 'Horns' started by AndrewWK, Oct 30, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    oes anyone know about how much shot blasting my 8335 Gold brass Xeno would be?

I went to their website and they are a beauty and I would like to do that to my trumpet. I also heard on their website that it darkens the sound and that would be good too.

Thanks,
    AndrewWk

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Andrew, I think I would check with Roy Lawler. He does the shotblast (or satin) finish... not sure if he "farms it out" or does it "in house". Perhaps Anderson's plating would shotblast but I seem to think that someone once said they are "only" into the plating aspect of the job.

Kanstul might do the job for you so you could also try asking Charles Haggert if he could give you a "ballpark" number (I don't think they will give a firm price unless they have the horn in their hands to inspect).

3. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Why is that??

Thanks,
    AndrewWK

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    There may be unforseen problems with the horn that the player didn't catch. They might not be familiar with that particular horn, and it may take more man hours... Kind of like mechanics

Van

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    What Van said. Kanstul mainly build horns. They don't have time to do repair/refit/refinish work on another brand's instruments and run the risk of losing money because there were problems that appeared after the horn arrived at their front door.

6. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Kanstul does do custom finishing and repair work. There have been some posts here and on the TH about people buying Ambassador trumpets and
    having a custom slide and a scratched lacquer finish put on the horn. They would be worth checking with.

Mike

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, Kanstul's "Half round, half-square" tune slide is a real dandy, and comes at pretty affordable prices! Of course, all tune slide shapes really do is open blow a bit, and not really enough to make you go "WOOWY!"

Check the Vintage horn forum for the "Olds Ambassador Modification" topic, I think he actually puts down how much the work was for the lacquer work. It wasnt that bad, if I remember correctly..

Van