customizing mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tarter_trpt8, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BBW,

I'm curious as to where or how you learned the various bits of trumpet minutiae that you you clearly know! It's not something I've gotten into since all my equipment needs are handled at Dave's shop.

ML

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Most of it was learned through Boyde Hood when I studied with him at USC. He has every mouthpiece, leadpipe, bell, you name it associated with the trumpet. He wants his students to find what they like the best by experimenting with all of the different things. So, I got to learn quite a bit about all of the gadgets and the like. I was able to fully find what I liked and what i did not.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, Kevin!

ML

4. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    BigBadWolf,

Do they make 1/4 B's then?? The set up seems good to me because I love the 1/4 feel but I love the way my air flows through the 1b mouthpiece. I sound decent on it until I tire out. That's why I want to have the rim that feels good but the cup that flows good to me. Make sense??

And Manny, I play on a C2 right now. I have ever since your master class. I was told this summer my Phil Collins in Cincinati that he loves the Monette sound but would like to hear more zip to the sound or more "buzz." I'm not sure what your take is on that or if that is just a personal preference. Because of his comment I tried to go back to Bach to get more of that buzz but my ears and chops just don't like it. Your imput would be great!

Jeremy

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    They do make a 1.25B, but it has a different rim shape than the 1.25C. You have to find the one that you like the best. For instance, I play on a 1C rim with a B underpart because I am very uncomfortable on the 1B rim. If you go to Kanstul's website, they have a very good comparison tool that allows you to do a side by side of the different mouthpieces. By the way, if you are comfortable on your B2 rim, why not cut that off and thread it? I did that with one of my 1-1's, but now I find it too big.

6. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just thought of something.... Curry makes the BC line which is a B cup with a C rim. Just get a Curry 1.25BC and have the throat and backbore adjusted. That will be much cheaper and will work just as well. Plus, the Curry BC cups come with a Bach blank instead of their normal Curry blank.