Cut away m-piece.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TopGun, Oct 15, 2012.

1. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Anyone fool around with cut away m-pieces? I'm talking about the rim connected to the shank with the cup area removed. Occasionally I'll play on one a couple minutes before I warm-up and I've noticed I can buzz higher than on trumpet. Curious what you guy's experience is with these. Any exercises that are particularly helpful?

Thanks

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    These are available and used by some teachers to evaluate the students ability to buzz. Warburton and others offer them. I have no idea who made the one I have and I can't remember if I've ever used it personally. I personally now use a Kelly 5C with my Davis O'Neill Buzzmaster by Warburton, the latter simulating some instrument resistance and then only when it is inconvenient to use an instrument.

As for improving performance, IMO it won't.

3. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback Ed. I just use mine a few times a week to remind me to keep my aperture focused and efficient. A friend has one and it does not help him at all. He is a great player and can't do anything on it. Guess different strokes for different folks.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use a B.E.R.P. so old it's metal and designed to fit into the receiver!! I use it as you use the cut away rim, for warmup. My teacher gave me both the B.E.R.P. and cut away rim. He called it a "visualizer". He said it was not quite worthless but close since they only came in one size. The one I have has no markings whatsoever on it. Now you have peaked my curiosity! :D Might try it for warmups and see how it goes!

5. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Let me know what you think. I just play a couple long tones on it to get things focused and easy. Higher pitches seem to work best. Easy, fast air seems to do the trick. Good luck!

6. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Can someone post a pic.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, you should be able to on a visualizer what you could or should also be able to do without (and that name of "visualizer" was on the tip of my tongue, but as old as I am just wouldn't get beyond that). I feel confident that I can still free lip buzz the natural notes from C (ledger line below the staff) to the F on top line of the staff ... that is when my wife and dog aren't near.The same applies when I use a mouthpiece with or without my buzzmaster.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Excellent photos on Warburton USA website re Advanced Training Visualizer.

10. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm using something more like this:

[​IMG]

I think it works quite a bit better, at least for me, than a visualizer for buzzing. Being able to put it in the horn and use normal pressure is helpful when simulating normal playing.