CUT LIP 5 stitches just removed - How to recover - When and how to play ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, May 2, 2012.

1. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Hi Guys

Had a blackout 10 days ago while coughing badly with flu and fell forward GUESS WHERE, hitting my chops against the marble worktop.

The stitches were removed after 9 days. I have ended up with a scar 1/8" below but parallel to the lip line, starting from the centre and finishing 3/4" to the left. The gums top and bottom still ache a bit and I have a broken tooth, top right +1 of centre. The scar is quite faint but the tissue beneath feels rather hard (a bit like a matchstick). It still feels numb all around that area but the bruising has almost gone.

I tried a little gentle blowing today and I am finding the rim of the mouthpiece is right on top of the scar. I can play a weak octave from bottom G with the discomfort of the rim on top of the scar.

I don't know whether its beneficial to massage the scar tissue to try and flatten it or whether thats a waste of time, OR to persist in playing from my original centre position and let the rim ride on top of the scar or what ???

From the experience of other members who may have had or know of this type of injury, I wondered what advice you may have to plan a way forward.
    :-(:shock::stars::bash: Thanks guys - hope you never have to suffer similar. Great forum by the way.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Rest some more... give that meat some time to heal. It's just too tender now still.
    If the scar is not in the buzzing area I think you will be OK.

If anything you may be better with some good hard tissue to mash you rim into and a nice Bergeron-esqe gap in the teeth.
    You'll be a screaming lead player next year!

3. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks jiarby

The scar is not in the buzzing area thank goodness, what is happening is that the thick tissue of the scar is lifting the cup rim away from the rest of the lip so I'm having to press onto the scar to try and flatten it so the mpc sits square. Hey - never thought of that - the scar could be used to take some mpc pressure.:roll:

I was enjoying playing the Vivaldi Concerto for 2 Trumpets 3 weeks ago on my Yam 9830 Picc, so screaming lead player next year will suit me fine. Thanks for the boost, much appreciated.:-)

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The path back is with soft long tones, lipslurs and easy tunes. A scar changes the geometry a bit and you need to acclimate - the sooner the better

PlatinumPiece likes this.
  5. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    It'll really take 6 weeks to have a fully mature scar, and then it will mold and reshape very slowly over time. Advice re: long soft tones is perfect!

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Maybe you need to see a good plastic surgeon. They can revise a scar so it does not interfer so much with your mouthpiece placement. The longer you wait, the more the scar will organize. So try to get the work done soon. In the meanwhile to minimize scar progression (and perhaps even reverse it), rub Vitamin E into the area twice a day. Just pop a hole into the Vitamin E capsule with a toothpick, place a little of the oil on your finger, and message it into the scar tissue area.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
    patkins likes this.
  7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Gmonady you must have put in your post as I was writing mine : )

If this were me I would be using Vitamin E and Aloe 5 to 10 times a day on the scar area. Both penetrate the skin and both have wonderful healing effects. I use aloe on my chops after strenuous shows just to help fatigue, and it works well.….. good luck with this. Remember, Al Hirt had some pretty bad lip damage from a fall and fully recovered, you will too !!!

8. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks rowuk & Pat S. :thumbsup:

I feel motivated to start straight away and appreciate your guidance on the method. I felt unsure whether to try and adopt the existing mpc position and see if the scar tissue under the mpc rim settles down flatter, or whether to move to an off center position unaffected by the scar but that feels very un-natural. My instinct seems to say - persevere with the old original position. My hope or theory being - if the healing takes 6 weeks, the placement of the mpc rim onto the scar at 12 days since injury, may actually make the scar heal with a "moulded shape" of the rim that is less intrusive. I'm no medic so I don't know if this sounds likely.

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:
    At the moment I'll try what I said above for a week or so before anything more invasive in case it causes more scar damage. I'm just clear of the buzzing area so I am worried also that surgery could invade this area. I'll try the vitE (pinch my wifes supply) and see if that helps.

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Thanks very much. :thumbsup:

It looks like I will need a trip to our Aloe supplier. We are lucky, in that the Aloe cactus grows all over the Island, so I will try and get a concentrated natural source.

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I would be most concerned about getting an infection. It's probably a better idea to get the scar healed a little bit more...But if it isn't bothering you too much blow to your hearts content.