CUT LIP 5 stitches just removed - How to recover - When and how to play ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by X3Lb, May 2, 2012.

1. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    Really after a week the risk of infection's down to zero unless you open the area back up, which would take some doing. Two trains of thought regarding how to approach a scar. Some would massage vigorously to try to break down the collagen in a favorable way. Others would let nature take its course then revise the scar (via plastic surgery) if the end result is suboptimal. I'm a "let nature take its course" kind of guy, but that's really only opinion, with no hard data to back it up.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Infection not so much. The immune response for the face is really good about fighting off an infection as it is very rich in capillary blood flow that brings our immune cells into contact to stave off infection. You know... our immune systems rarely need the "antibiotics" our medical professionals tend to let us know that we “need”... if we just optimize the functioning system the good Lord provided us.

An infection is temporary (even if antibiotics are required in those rare instances); but a scar is forever. Pat S is correct... there are natural things we can do to minimize scar... and if we just understand the immune process, we can either 1) use it to our advantage or 2) choose to ignore it to our detriment.

3. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    A dog attack bit my lip in half when I was young, yes right in the kisser. It took 2 weeks to fully heal and the skill of a plastic surgeon. People can't even tell. Neither can my mouthpiece. Although I was never a high registry player back then, (20 years ago), I am able to hit FF for the first time in my life, on a Schilke X3L and a 6A4A! I thought I'd never get there but listening to my compadres on TM; as well as, moderator input has helped. Oh, and I should not leave out, (practice, practice, practice)!!!!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    But double F is 4 ledger lines BELOW the bass clef. Are low notes good for recovery? ;-)

5. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Wow,

Very sorry to hear that you got hurt. In may 06 I put a pair of large pliers in to my upper lip right on my the meat of my chops. 4 stitches. I could not produce a sound at 6 weeks. An octave came at 12 weeks. (low c to c in the staff) I had to go to a 1.5 C like Bud did. I was told by the plastic surgeon to massage the scar tissue. That did not work. In Jan 08 I had the scar tissue removed. I had to learn to play again twice. I highly recommend using a food grade aloe gel and vitamin E when you massage the scar. This will aid softening the tissue. Drink plenty of water as well. You may need to have the scar removed if it remains a problem and wont break up.

Play many very short sessions for a while, (5 minutes). As you gather strength and an understanding of what your chops are doing and how to play again lengthen your sessions. Gradually expand the length of each session and the range you are playing in. Be mindful of sound and air. Pay attention to how you are playing and do your best to use an excellent approach. Play with the best technique you can. Do not compensate with a contortion of any kind as you try to expand your range. This will keep you from developing a bad habit or possibly hurting yourself. Be extremely patient with your progress. You will play again it takes time but it will happen! I could not play a note and now I am doing fine. There are some occasional very minor issues but if I revisite the basics I can get them to fade away. I finally made it back to the same gear I was using before the accident.

best of luck take your time and hang in there.

Jon

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I am talking going up the Bb scale to high C above staff, then D , then E, then F. So maybe I'm using wrong terminology.
    Best Regards to your recovery. You will heal fine.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Same thing happened to me twice when I was young. I have a slight bump on the inside top and teeny tiny scar on the bottom. Plastic surgery both times (Thanks Dad!). Did lots and lots of soft long tones to get back into the swing of things. Couldn't play normal again for about 2 months both times do to the positions of the injuries. Take it slow and you will be fine. Rush it and you may hurt yourself. Here's to a speedy recovery.

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Sorry to hear about your mishap. But that's something that can happen to anyone. Even Maurice André (RIP) once had a very similar thing happen to him. His solution was an asymmetric mouthpiece that avoided the scar area. Stomvi still make these mouthpieces, and they can be used in conjunction with their mouthpiece system (you get two stems, one or two rims and up to eight cups).

9. thatsmagic83

thatsmagic83 New Friend

Dec 6, 2011
    Sorry to hear about your lip.

I agree with the plenty of rest solution, look after yourself and work on other aspects like plenty of listening, score reading etc.

You'll be playing again before you know it.

10. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Thanks Pat S and all members who have posted since my last entry.

I am very touched about the caring and empathy of so many members. It is reassuring to hear of all your experiences and outcomes and I should say that I broke front teeth off after an accident and had an inguinal hernia Op about 4 years ago and had just got myself somewhere back to what I was. That took several years due to the different alignment of top front teeth and getting the muscles of the diaphragm to work well again.

Posted here just 3 1/2 weeks ago http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f139/piccolos-9830-p5-4-harmony-vivaldi-67159.html doing the Vivaldi for 2 Trumpets on Picc.

Hey ho - back to the steady trail to start again.

Really pleased about all the support and helpful advice from you guys. :thumbsup:

Kind regards

Dennis