Cut on the inside of the lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bagmangood, Nov 13, 2008.

1. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

K, so I've had braces for about 5 months, but since I've used minimal pressure I haven't had to worry about the usual bleeding lips and whatnot. However, I got hit in the face with a ball on monday and its screwed up my sound, range, and articulation.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to do? (its right in front of the top center teeth)

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    your going to have a bruise for a while. like any muscle a bruised lip muscle will hurt. Even more , the lip muscles are some of the smallest most sensitive muscles in the human body. and if use to play a brass instument, need extra care. A bruised lip will not vibrate well and the last thing you want to do is to start forcing it to work. I wouldn't play until the bruise has healed and you can play normally again.

3. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Your coach should've told you to keep your eye on the ball, that way you'd only have a black eye to deal with.

Anyway, get well soon, and as Bob says, don't force it.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Bagmangood!

Perhaps, you could check with your dentist to see if a protective liner might be available for those who play brass instruments to prevent cuts and irritations to the mouth. With today's technology who knows? Of course, if such a liner exists, it might affect your playing before and after the protective liner is not needed. All the dentist can tell you is that such a device exists or does not exist?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That's a good idea in general, but I was looking for a quick fix, and I experimented a bit with wax today that sort of fixed the problem (enough for an orchestra rehearsal)
    And it was during ultimate frisbee practice, but apparently some people can't throw (yes, a ball hit me and not a frisbee, I would have caught a frisbee :-P)

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    There is a device called Brace Guard. it was developed by a trumpet teacher and a dentist. I've use it with my students since the mid 80s. It works very well but needs some tweaking to work right. you should be able to find it on the web or at your local music store. If you need some help with it. Let me know.
    [email protected]

7. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    That's the worst, to get cut on your lip. I got hit in the mouth with a mute, and that did not feel to good. You really can't play anything that is hard on your lips.

Hope you recover soon!

8. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Take the weekend off! If this happened monday, and your chops haven't recovered, you might just need some time off the horn. Do some listening, breathing, and pracitice your music off the horn (breath and tongue and fingers). Bad habits from playing around an injury are harder to fix than being a little out of shape from letting it heal.

I got hit in the chops twice in high school. The first time, I had braces and I cut up the inside of my upper lip pretty bad, but it never really bruised or swelled up. No playing for two or three days, and I was fine. The second time, I wasn't cut, but I had a big bruise on my upper lip right under the mpc rim on the right. That bruise took longer to heal fully (maybe two weeks) than the cut, so if you've got a bruise, give it time if you can. I played when I had to (one painful marching band solo), but for a least a week I didn't play much. After that I could play ok, but the upper register wouldn't work right until the lump from the bruise went away.

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    I would go with the suggestion given by Bob Grier as to the Brace Guard. One could use Oral wax products, but they may break away and end up going through your horn. Could be that you might be able to use a "liquid bandage" made for ORAL use that is not likely to "peel off" which might bring you some needed relief.

Sorry, you are hurting right now!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I would love to hear the story behind that!! ROFL