Cut on the inside of the lip

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bagmangood, Nov 13, 2008.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    In my opinion you should stop playing until the cut heals. Rinse your mouth every night with saltwater to help the healing process.

I had a bad cut and swollen lip a few months back and it took me more than an extra week to heal because I played a gig while the cut was still fresh (and my lip was still swollen).

There's no reason for you to do any playing until your lip is back to 100%...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    BMG

You can still play longtones and basic slurs. I would still play every day, just real easy, low pressure stuff.

The key to playing with braces is discipline. Do not beat yourself up, chop your practice sessions into low or no pain units of about 20 minutes. Practice very softly, work on breathing, things musical and control - not extreme range.

3. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    If it is any consolation to you, my orthodontist told me that he thinks I cut half a year off of my time wearing braces because I played the horn so much. (Which is only encouraging if you are working on a minor overbite.)

That was back in the dark ages of the 1970's here in the U.S. when only metal braces were available. Plus I was in marching band. Went through a lot of wax that melted in the heat of the summer during practices... Actually gave up on the wax after a while and just kind of built up something like callouses. Then when the braces were gone the callouses eventually began recede and I was still moving up in the section.

Pay attention to the advice offered on slow, steady, long tones, etc. If you do injure your lip, you must give it time to heal. So if you get cuts, etc. I hope the director or your teacher will understand.

4. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Oh, and if you do get a cut, I used to keep powdered Alum in my trumpet case that stopped the bleeding and helped it heal faster. I'd apply a dab of that to the cut. The saltwater advice you got was also valid.

5. tonybaloney

tonybaloney Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2008
    Arlington
    Haha, it is a funny story. We all had to get mutes out for this piece we were preparing. A whole bunch of us forgot the mutes where we keep our instruments, so we made last chair go get all of them.

Now, the last chair was not very coordinated or really for that matter played sports. So last chair went to get the mutes and stood at the front and started tossing them. So he was throwing the second chairs Tom Crown straight mute, and of course, it hit me.

It could have been avoided if I had payed attention. But hey, lesson learned. Get your own mutes!

6. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    All good advice here. Being disciplined in your practice and playing also means not playing when you shouldn't. The story of Freddie Hubbard is a sobering one for all of us who are tempted to push through the pain of injury.

7. JRFIII

JRFIII Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2008
    New Jersey
    Don't know if this company's product is any good, but if you want to research it to protect from future injuries with your braces, here it is.

Morgan Bumper Company

8. blanier

blanier New Friend

Feb 7, 2008
    Morgan Bumpers do work extremely well. The product comes in strips that you cut to length. The pieces snap over the brackets glued to the teeth and provide a cushion between the braces and the lip. You can purchase them directly (in several colors) from the website, and many orthodontists give them away. My daughter swears by them. She keeps several pieces in her handbag, trumpet cases, locker, etc. so she'll always have one close by. She cleans them either with soap, or a soak in Listerine.

Blake