Cycling

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by LaTrompeta, Oct 10, 2018.

1. jrd19580

jrd19580 New Friend

Nov 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

My Giant Defy with a Campy Record 11 Groupo.......

2. ButchA

ButchA Piano User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Oops, I just realized that. My bad...

I rode bicycles from the 60's on up. Everything from single speeds to 3 speeds to banana seat bikes with ape hanger handlebars, to the ubiquitous 10 speed Schwinn's. I stopped somewhere in the 90's and didn't stay current....

Me with my classic 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 12 speed road bike...

[​IMG]

LaTrompeta, bumblebee and jrd19580 like this.
  3. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    I put tubless tires on my bike. I was getting about 4 flats a year. I have not had a flat in 3 years, and can run much lower pressure (90 - 100 lbs) - giving me a smoother ride (old bones).

LaTrompeta likes this.
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I test-rode a Defy a few years ago - and I remember it most clearly for my cleats grabbing the pedals too tight and so I could not release my shoe when I hit a red light. I squirmed and hopped up and down to avoid falling over and scratching the brand new pristine bike (and so having to actually buy it I suppose) and to avoid getting hit by traffic, and when my foot did release I managed to kick the pedal with my shin and have a slight scar to remember that day by.

Despite that poor experience (though I don't blame the Defy at all) I was happy to get a Giant Fastroad for my son earlier this year which is a really nice bike.

--bumblebee

5. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Most of what you see on that bike is carbon, too. The entire frame is a monococque, the fork is carbon, the seatpost is carbon, the saddle is carbon, even the saddle rails are carbon! I love riding carbon, but it has its detractors for sure.

I'm also an amateur mechanic, so I do all the work on my bikes and have built one from the frame up. It's very fulfilling to ride a perfectly-tuned bike that you built yourself!

Manfredv, ButchA and Kevin Whiting like this.
  6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I am often amazed at how some recreational (though very keen) riders will obsess over reducing the weight of their bike by 50g or 100g, and making it as streamlined as possible, paying top dollar to do this, yet their own body is frequently easier and cheaper to trim by a half kilo or so (I appreciate there are people who can't for various reasons). I suppose though that optimising the bike is a source of interest and enjoyment similar that some trumpeters engage in when fixing up their horns.

--bumblebee

Kevin Whiting likes this.
  7. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    I think the same thing of race car drivers. ROFL

8. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    A TM Lounge thread I can finally relate to ;-) Cannondale Evo with SRAM.. pic taken when it was brand-new.
    [​IMG]

ButchA and Kevin Whiting like this.
  9. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    I've been wanting to purchase a power meter for my bike, but they are crazy expensive. $599 just for one pedal, $1000 for both!

10. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah.. When I bought mine, I got it from a bike shop owned by a friend and paid about half that for a single. At the time, some of the online sites were offering at the same price because it was new.

There are some slightly cheaper options now https://powermetercity.com/