D trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, May 20, 2006.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I am playing second trumpet on Mozart Requiem.

I rarely get a chance to play my D trumpet so I want to play it on this. The hole thing is written for D trumpet except one movement is for B flat. I can do the whole thing on C trumpet but then I'm playing a lot of low D and A. I didn't want to bring two horns out with me so I think what I'm going to do is play everything on D and not play the 4 notes that are too low for the trumpet or I'll play them up an octave.

What do you guys do?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Whatever we do, B, we don't leave notes out except for very rarely. This would not be one of those cases.

ML

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i did mozart requiem with exultate. the principal wanted to do it on Bb so i also did on Bb (second on C principal on Bb i find don't work too well) for a darker sound and it works really well.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I played everything on D trumpet with the exception of the last two movements. I played them on C

No missing notes

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    4 valve Eb/D trumpet.....

I spent years saving/searching for one but it has been well worth all the trouble and money.
    I had a conductor last week trying to tune me to Bb he was so convinced I was playing on the big trumpet.