daily routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Young Trumpeter, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    my private teacher tells me every lesson that the most important thing for a player at my level (high school) is a good daily routine. he also says that how long you practice is not nearly as important as how critical you are of yourself when you practice. so my question is for some of the pros: how long is your routine and what specifically does it consist of? how long should it take? is it better to have a shorter routine you do more often or a longer one you do less often? should it differ from one for my level?

thanks in advance!

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I always start with warmup A from Don Johnston's book.
    Then I move on to Arban Lip Flexes or Colin Flexes.
    After that it is what I feel like. Usually either lip slurs to increase my range or some sort of scalar drills like the stuff in the Clark book.

That usually takes me from 30 mins to an hour depending on the amount of time I have to practice.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    FWIW:
    Boyde Hood Mouthpiece routines
    Stamp studies
    Bai Lin flexibilities ( or Irons, Colin, Schlossberg)
    Clarke (or Gekker)
    Conconne studies
    Solos, etudes, et al
    This is spread out over the day.
    "Practice three times a day, and quit before you get tired"- Lloyd Geisler
    I hope this gives you some ideas.
    Regards,
    Roy Griffin

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Homo sapiens are creatures of habit. A good daily routine will bring consistency into your playing. The "pros" that have a full schedule of playing, have different requirements than amateurs.
    I always start with long tones(breath attack), slur intervals(breath attack), light tonguing (Clarke technical studies). This takes about 20 minutes. After that, I practice what I need for the next gig. My students then play etudes (Charlier, Schlossberg, Arban, St. Jacome,..........)
    There are many different concepts about how long you should practice. My personal criteria is: as long as I can stay concentrated. We should not forget that extended concentration (required in a concert setting) needs to be practiced as much as the mechanics of playing. Short practice sessions do not accomplish this. We should NEVER beat our chops up at home. So the general balance for me is at least 1 x 1 hour (concentrated) session per day.
    There are days where my job and family need more attention and days where they deserve more attention. I can keep my chops in very good shape with about 90 minutes of practice per day.

5. Dave

Dave Guest

Well, I am certainly no pro, but I try to cover four areas of playing as a routine, and then go from there into more dedicated practicing on whatever I am working on (often jazz improvisation). I think of this daily routine as a kind of warm-up for the rest. I warm-up my lips with long tones and lip slurs from Vizutti volume I, warm-up my fingers with Clarke Technical studies or Vizzutti technical studies (or sometimes work from Harbison's jazz technical studies book), warm-up my tongue with scale studies and articulation studies from Arban, and warm-up my mind with lyrical studies from Concone. This can take anywhere between 20-45 minutes depending on how much time I have. I often practice in several chunks of time, and this is the first. I tend to practice a total of 90-120 minutes a day.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Did your teacher suggest anything specific?

I'm not a pro, either, but manage to do something similar to Dave, but just use different excercises. Schlossberg, Stamp, Arban, Clarke, Colin make up my daily diet for about 35-40 minutes of work. I try to get those guys in first, in case I don't have time for other things.

7. Young Trumpeter

Young Trumpeter Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2006
    lol a lot of this is confusing to me because i'm not familiar with most of these books and names everyone's throwing out. i recognize Arban because i have that book and i've heard of Clarke studies (although i dont know specifically what they are) and that's it.

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    :-) Sorry. Schlossberg: Daily Drills and Technical Studies, by Max Schlossberg. Colin: Advanced Lip Flexibilities, by Dr. Charles Colin. Stamp: Warm-ups, by James Stamp. (I think that's whatit's called...it's blue with white stripes).

9. Dave

Dave Guest

Here is the Vizzutti book I mentioned:
    http://www.amazon.com/Vizzutti-Trum..._bbs_sr_4/103-4556802-6403832?ie=UTF8&s=books

Here is the Clarke studies:
    http://www.amazon.com/Technical-Stu...ef=sr_1_1/103-4556802-6403832?ie=UTF8&s=books

Here is the Concone book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lyrical-studi...id=1164600417/ref=sr_11_1/103-4556802-6403832

But it really doesn't matter what books you use, it is the idea of a daily routine that covers all areas that matters. You could do it all with just the Arban's book.